|Yahoo Tech consumer technology advisor|
Mark Peters : May 5th 2006 - 17:11 CET
Yahoo Tech consumer technology advisor : Yahoo! Inc, a leading global Internet company, today launched Yahoo! Tech, a new Web site that gives consumers plain-English advice and information about choosing and using the technology that has become a part of their daily lives. Yahoo! Tech was developed with the simple philosophy of making technology easy for all Yahoo! users, especially those without a deep understanding of technology and gadgets. The site features a broad selection of original and licensed content, hundreds of thousands of products with community product ratings and reviews, as well as shopping, community and personalization features from across the Yahoo! network. |
Yahoo! Tech - Technology advisors |
Four experienced technology advisors, each focused on a specific audience such as "moms," "boomers" or "working guys," offer daily guidance for consumers looking to choose or use consumer electronics from one of 19 categories, including computers, cell phones, digital cameras and MP3 players. "Personal technology has become essential to our daily lives, but the growing number of product choices often confuses and overwhelms most consumers. We created Yahoo! Tech to make life a little less complicated for our users," said Lloyd Braun, head of Yahoo!'s media group. "We're integrating Yahoo!'s world-class tools and the most relevant technology content to deliver a one-of-a-kind experience to consumers."
Yahoo! - Consumer technology
Yahoo! Tech will serve as the new anchor for consumer technology advertising on the Yahoo! network, one of the industry's largest online advertising categories. Yahoo! has already established itself as one of the premier destinations for consumer technology marketers, and the launch of Yahoo! Tech builds upon its leadership position within the category.
Yahoo! Tech features
Yahoo! Tech was built using many of Yahoo!'s most popular tools and technologies. These offerings are deeply integrated into the new Web site to help users easily and quickly find the information they value most about technology. Some of the key offerings from Yahoo! Tech include:
• Community: Yahoo! Tech's active community lets users discover, share and interact with people just like them to learn about technology. Consumers can benefit from one another's experiences through community ratings & reviews, Yahoo! Answers and interaction with the advisors.
• Yahoo! Answers: Through the integration of Yahoo! Answers, consumers can get helpful tech information from real people. In addition to finding user-generated questions and answers on product pages, consumers can ask and answer tech-related questions through the Yahoo! Answers community.
• Community Ratings & Reviews: Users will have access to hundreds of thousands of community ratings and reviews from Yahoo! Shopping. The reviews are integrated on product pages and include average ratings to help users quickly find the best product.
• My Tech: My Tech makes the tech research process easy. As people research their favorite tech products, My Tech automatically remembers what they researched. In addition, with one click users can save their favorite tech products for future reference, and compare them side-by-side or email them to family and friends. My Tech updates in real-time depending on a user's activity and stays with users on almost every page of the site.
• Yahoo! Shopping: Yahoo! Tech brings hundreds of thousands of new technology products to consumers' fingertips through Yahoo! Shopping's product index. The shopping tools offered on Yahoo! Tech allow users to compare products by feature, brand, price and user rating.
• Search: Yahoo! Search technology is heavily integrated throughout Yahoo! Tech, enabling users to find the latest must-have products or advice, product round-ups or buying guides.
Consumer technology guide - Licensees
Yahoo! Tech offers users product and technology content from several leading consumer technology outlets, much of which is available exclusively on Yahoo! Tech. With a combination of traditional technology publications and non-traditional outlets, Yahoo! Tech provides users with information they won't find anywhere else. Consumer Reports provides product rankings from their most popular electronics and computer categories, previously only available online at ConsumerReports.org. Wiley Publishing, Inc, which publishes the For Dummies brand, will provide specifically written articles taken from various For Dummies technology titles and shared exclusively with Yahoo! Tech users - the first time this content is available anywhere online. McGraw-Hill Professional will offer content from its best-selling "Quicksteps," "How to Do Everything," and "Headaches" series. Yahoo! Tech also features product reviews and information from the leading names in technology publishing, including PC World, CNET and PC Magazine.
Website - Original and User generated content
In addition to the licensed content, Yahoo! Tech has developed original content that brings a unique voice and perspective to the site. The Yahoo! Tech editorial team will develop product packages and roundups on topics from "Best-Value PCs" to "Must-Have Gadgets for a Road Trip," while four Yahoo! Tech Advisors have been selected to address the tech needs of specific audiences through daily commentary about technology in their lives.
Yahoo! Tech Advisors include:
• Dory Devlin, "The Mom," shows how technology can help balance the demands of work and home. Devlin is a journalist with more than 20 years experience covering work-family issues.
• Gina Hughes, the "Techie Diva," highlights the new must-have "it" gadgets for the trend-conscious crowd. Hughes is the chief editor and founder of the TechieDiva blog.
• Christopher Null, "The Working Guy," shows how to use new technologies to get the job done on time - whether in the office, at home or on the road. Null is the founding editor-in-chief of Mobile PC magazine, with more than 15 years of technology journalism experience.
• Robin Raskin, "The Boomer," provides regular coverage focused on a maturing audience who rely more and more on the advantages of technology to stay in touch and make better use of their time. Raskin is the former editor of PC Magazine, editor-in-chief of FamilyPC and a USA Today columnist.
Yahoo! Tech - Video program
Yahoo! Tech will also feature original video programming, with a new initiative called "Hook Me Up." The program showcases Yahoo! Tech users receiving technology makeovers with a twist. Each three to four minute episode will feature a Yahoo! user receiving a mini tech makeover that enhances their life. One of the most important ways that people can learn about which products are right for them is from other people like them. Yahoo! Tech incorporates the voice of the people with integrated product ratings and reviews and questions and answers from Yahoo! Answers.
Technology advertising opportunities
Yahoo! Tech creates new opportunities for marketers on Yahoo! and will serve as an important anchor for consumer technology advertising. The site has been developed for all consumers, not just those who already have a deep understanding of technology, so advertisers have a unique opportunity to reach a broader tech purchasing audience not found at other vertical technology websites. Several leading advertisers are already working with Yahoo! on the launch of Yahoo! Tech, including Hewlett Packard, Verizon Wireless and Panasonic.
HP & Yahoo - Advertisements
"HP and Yahoo! both know that complex technology is a turn-off for consumers," said Mary Bermel, director, Interactive & Emerging Media, HP. "Just as consumers trust HP products to be reliable and designed for the best experience, visitors to the new Yahoo! tech site will welcome its easy-to-understand approach to technology." In keeping consistent with the core philosophy of the site, "tech made easy," Yahoo! is encouraging advertisers to develop messages that consumers of all levels will understand. With this in mind, much of the advertising on Yahoo! Tech has been developed solely for the Web site with jargon-free messages that focus on the key user benefits consumers need most, rather than complicated product specs.
Yahoo! Inc. is a leading global internet brand and one of the most trafficked Internet destinations worldwide. Yahoo! seeks to provide online products and services essential to users' lives, and offers a full range of tools and marketing solutions for businesses to connect with Internet users around the world. Yahoo! is headquartered in Sunnyvale, California.
About Yahoo! Tech
Yahoo! Tech is a new website that gives consumers plain-English advice and information about choosing and using technology. The site approaches technology information with a simple philosophy: tech made easy. Yahoo! Tech features original, licensed and user-generated content about hundreds of thousands of technology products, and is powered by the search, community and personalization tools from across the Yahoo! network. The site was developed by a team of industry veterans, headed by Patrick Houston, who have experience working inside of Yahoo!, as well as with many of the leading consumer technology publications.