Ilse Jurriën : February 22th 2006 - 04:00 CET
FotoNation Face Tracker Software
FotoNation Face Tracker Software : FotoNation, one of the world’s leading imaging and connectivity solutions companies for the digital photography industry, announced today that it will demonstrate FotoNation Face Tracker at the Photo Marketing Association Conference (PMA 2006) held next week in Orlando, Florida. FotoNation Face Tracker is in-camera technology that uses a radically new approach to identify and lock onto human faces in the camera’s preview screen, tracking faces as they move around within the frame. The technology allows the camera’s firmware to adjust white balance before the image is captured, ensuring that faces are well exposed and optimally focused and that skin tones are reproduced with exceptional accuracy.|
FotoNation Face Tracker Software|
Face Tracker saves users time by avoiding the tedious and often impossible task of trying to fix badly lit and out of focus images with a computer using Photoshop or other photo software. Previously only available to professional photographers using extremely high-end cameras, Face Tracker allows the novice photographer to create high-quality portrait pictures effortlessly. It accurately follows faces in frontal or profile positions and automatically establishes the correct image orientation. A box is drawn around the face, showing the user which face is being tracked. Face Tracker's technology can even track multiple faces simultaneously. It takes into account any processing speed limitations within the camera and allows sufficient processing power for the camera to run its own algorithms while faces are being detected.
FotoNation Face Tracker Features:
• Quickly works with down-sampled images.
• Great general-purpose detection.
• Scene-dependent parameters are collected and used to improve accuracy.
• Can track faces in a wide range of poses.
• The technology is not only reliant on frontal face detection.
• Once the face is “locked,” momentary pose changes do not lose the face.
• Allows other simultaneous processing in the camera.
• Detects faces throughout the entire image.
• Once a face is detected, detection takes place only in areas where a face was seen before.
• Predicts and anticipates face movement.
• When large changes are detected, the full frame is searched for new faces.
• Automatic Image Orientation.
• Highly accurate: 96% correct rotation if a dominant face is present.
• A voting algorithm decides the orientation when multiple faces are present in the image.
• The correct rotation decision is based on a sequence of preview frames.
• The accuracy is -much better than a decision based on a single image approach.
• Orientation algorithm can deal with profiles in final image.
• Orientation can be stored as an EXIF Tag.
• Simple Application Program Interface (API) for easy integration into the camera.
• Only 3 function calls are needed to integrate the software into the preview chain.
FotoNation identifies current challenges and future opportunities in digital photography and imaging. Using its extensive industry experience and in-depth research capabilities, together with revolutionary approaches, FotoNation develops innovative solutions, techniques and features to enhance, extend and simplify the picture making and sharing experience for everyone. Clients include the world leaders in photography, including AOL, Kodak, Nikon, Pentax, Sanyo, Hewlett-Packard, Sony, and Microsoft, among others.