P990 smartphone - Symbian platform|
All have been popular with users, operators and software developers thanks to their powerful productivity features. Operator feedback and download statistics from the Sony Ericsson Application Shop have shown that consumers, both business and personal, are interested in using their smartphones to the fullest potential. Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) can be as high as 4 to 5 times that of more traditional voice-centric mobiles. Sony Ericsson has decided to announce the smartphone well in advance of availability so that developers have time to create and certify as many applications as possible.
Sony Ericsson smartphone - UMTS
“The technical prowess of the P990 smartphone will be brought to full life by applications from the third party developer community,” said Jan Wäreby, Executive Vice President and Head of Sales and Marketing. “Demand for applications on the Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910 has been very high. Our smartphones have been recognised as the most advanced and useful on the market, and we want to maintain this reputation with the UMTS P990 by ensuring there’s a rich supply of top applications for enterprise, productivity, leisure and gaming when users make their first visit to the Sony Ericsson Application Shop.” As with its predecessors, the Sony Ericsson P990 phone is designed to be first and foremost a great mobile phone. It also offers all the benefits of UMTS including video calling, high-bandwidth multi-media downloads and the ability to browse the Internet with full HTML pages. These are viewed in landscape on the new Opera 8 browser. In addition, the P990 smartphone is prepared for all major push e-mail clients enabling full e-mail access with attachments, anywhere, anytime.
UMTS P990 - 3G services and Memory Stick PRO Duo
The Sony Ericsson P990 has multiple text input methods enabling it to support all users’ needs and preferences. Writing e-mails is made easier by the new hardware keyboard positioned beneath the flip-down keypad on the main body of the phone. Reading them is made simpler on the large 2.8-inch QVGA touch screen. Multi tasking, being able to browse the Internet, send and receive files at the same time as talking, is now possible due to the enhanced capabilities of the new software platform. Memory has been extended in order to handle all multi-media downloads and e-mail attachments. Memory Stick PRO Duo up to 4GB will be available in the market at launch and the Sony Ericsson P990 now has up to 80MB user free memory. A 64MB Memory Stick PRO Duo is included in the box, preloaded with a VPN client and trial version of a virus scan package. The combination of UMTS and WLAN features will also significantly improve the efficiency and flexibility of applications such as e-mail, browsing the Internet/Intranet and video telephony. WLAN, available in hot spots all over the world, acts as a complement to high speed 3G services, enabling widespread access to corporate network services.
UMTS 990 phone - Digital camera and Availability
Other new features include automatic time zone change to the Calendar diary and updated PC sync software with extended synchronization possibilities. Additionally the 2 Megapixel camera with autofocus, digital zoom, photo light plus the bright TFT screen and video recording provide a high quality imaging experience. In a separate announcement today, Sony Ericsson Developer World and UIQ Technology outlined their plans to support UIQ 3 developers. Developers can program in C++ or Java to create powerful professional and personal productivity tools for the Sony Ericsson UMTS P990. The smartphone is based on Java Platform 3 (JP-3). It supports four new Java Specification Requests (JSR’s) including Web Services (JSR-172) and is the twentieth phone from Sony Ericsson supporting Mobile Java 3D, demonstrating the company’s leadership in this new technology. Standard Java applications can be run with either the flip-down keypad open or closed. The P990 smartphone will be commercially available in Q1 2006.
Sony Ericsson P990 models
The P990 smartphone will be available in 4 hardware keyboard variants:
QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY and Russian.
- P990i Dual mode UMTS (2100MHz) - GPRS 900/1800/1900 for Europe, Asia, Middle East, Africa
- P990c Dual mode UMTS (2100MHz) - GPRS 900/1800/1900 for Mainland China.
Sony Ericsson UMTS P990 specifications
- Operating system - Symbian OS v9.1, Software platform - UIQ v3.0
- Size - 114 x 57 x 25mm, - Weight - 155g with battery and flip keyboard
- Screen - Large 2.8 inch QVGA (240 x 320) touch screen with 262 k colours
- Supports landscape view for camera, video imaging and browsing
- Interaction - Using touch screen, 3 way Jog Dial and dedicated buttons
- WLAN - 802.11b compliant, Bluetooth - Includes car handsfree profile
- Infrared - Yes, USB - Yes and charging via USB
- UMTS - E-GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900 and UMTS 2100
- Application memory - Up to 80MB user free memory
-Camera - Integrated 2 Megapixel CommuniCorder
- Video telephony, Media player - Supports playback, streaming and playlists
- Activity menu - Customizable top level menu, Upgradeable - Via Sony Ericsson Update Service
- Push email - Prepared for all major e-mail solutions including Research in Motion (Blackberry)
- Messaging - SMS, MMS and email, Editors - Microsoft Word and Excel
- PIM applications - Contacts, Calendar, To Do, Jotter for notes and sketches
- Converter, Stop Watch and Timer, Viewers - Microsoft Excel. Word, Powerpoint and Adobe PDF
- Themes - Easy personalisation of animated icons, screensavers, wallpapers and skins
- Speaker phone - Yes, Flight mode - Includes option to turn Wi-Fi on
- Memory Stick - Memory Stick PRO Duo slot for up to 4GB removable memory. 64MB supplied
- Local and remote synchronisation - via SyncML, Business telephony - Yes
- Java ME platform support, Voice memo and Calculator.