Ilse Jurriën : August 6th 2005 - 17:50 CET
|Samsung SE-W164C DVD RW disc drive
Samsung SE-W164C DVD RW disc drive : Samsung Electronics Ltd. introduces its first external DVD ReWritable disc drive, the 16X WriteMaster SE-W164C. This ultra-portable DVD drive is designed as an ideal companion for a laptop computer or desktop PC, allowing users to easily install and enjoy the benefits of a high-speed DVD burner without the hassle and expense associated with internal units. The new drive is capable of reading and writing in both the DVD+ and DVD- formats with double layer 5x support, and is able to store up to 8.5GB on one disc, which is two times more than a single-layer DVD and 12 times more than a CD. The Samsung SE-W164C is currently shipping with an Estimated Street Price of $199.|
Samsung SE-W164C - Easy set up|
The SE-W164C offers users simple and convenient set up and connection to any laptop or PC via USB 2.0. The Samsung SE-W164C is terrific for users on the go or those with limited workspace. Offered in a stylish black color, the drive looks great with any ivory or black-tone PC. The drive can also be mounted vertically, saving precious desktop space. The SE-W164C provides a speedy 16X DVD+R and DVD-R write speed, can write DVD+RW at 8X and 6X on a DVD-RW disc. Armed with 5X dual layer speed recording, the SE-W164C helps to cut down on timing issues, such as backup recording.
Samsung - Complete lineup of DVD writers
"As a leading optical drive manufacturer, Samsung is able to offer consumers a complete lineup of DVD writers and players. The introduction of the new SE-W164C external DVD drive further complements our product offerings in the DVD burner category," said Albert Kim, National Sales Manager, Storage Systems for Samsung SSI. "As an external drive, the SE-W164C is perfect for any user who wants to view and burn DVDs without the stress of a complex or expensive installation process."
SE-W164C - Prevents dust and Reduce noise
The SE-W164C sports a large air vent on the back of the drive for maximum air circulation to prevent overheating when the drive is running at high speeds. The drive also incorporates a groove on the side of the front door and the back of the bezel, which helps to reduce noise and prevents dust from entering the unit.
Samsung SE-W164C DVD RW drive - High-end technologies
The SE-W164C utilizes many high-end technologies to ensure fast and reliable performance and top-notch quality: Speed Adjustment Technology (SAT), which automatically optimizes the speed according to the disc quality; Tilt Actuator Compensation (TAC), which gives the disc a tilt with the objective lens for the most reliable writing condition; and Double Optimum Power Control (OPC), which strengthens the writing performance by controlling the laser power in the inner and outer sides of the disc. The drive also includes a power save function and technology to prevent Buffer Under Run Error.
Samsung SE-W164C specifications
- DVD+R: write 16X (21.6MB/sec), read 12X (16.2MB/sec)
- Double Layer: write 5X (6.75MB/sec), read 8X (10.8MB/sec)
- Double Layer DVD+RW: write 8X (10.8MB/sec), read 8X (10.8MB/sec)
- Double Layer DVD-R: write 16X (21.6MB/sec), read 12X (16.2MB/sec)
- Double Layer DVD-RW: write 6X (8.1MB/sec), read 8X (10.8MB/sec)
- DVD-ROM: read 16X (21.6MB/sec)
- CD-ROM: read 48X (7.2MB/sec)
- CD-R: write 48X (7.2MB/sec), read 40X (6.0MB/sec)
- CD-RW: write 32X (4.8MB/sec), read 40X (6.0MB/sec)
- Average Seek Time: DVD-ROM - 130ms
- Average Seek Time: CD-ROM- 110ms
- Supported Disc: DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL
- Supported Disc: DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, CD-R, CD-RW
- Supported Disc: CD-ROM/XA, CD-ROM, CD-Audio, Video-CD
- Supported Disc: CD-I(FMV), Photo CD, CD-Extra, CD-TEXT
- Buffer Memory: 2MB
- Dimensions: 163mm x 50mm x 232mm
- Weight: 1,2 kg.