Leica R8 & R9 cameras |
The Leica R system combines superior, traditional optical and instrument-making experience with the most modern manufacturing technology and exquisite fabrication know-how that made the Solms company world-famous. The Leica Digital-Modul-R is a digital camera back designed to fit regular production Leica R8 and R9 cameras. Leica R8 and R9 cameras will thus become the world’s very first hybrid 35 mm cameras that can be used for digital or analog photography.
Leica quality even better than expected
"The quality of the digital photographs taken with the Leica Digital-Modul-R is even better than we expected. The new product shows that Leica is able to put its special strengths in optics and product design into attractive, high-performance digital solutions. Our customers had to wait longer than planned for the unique digital solution from Leica, but are now rewarded with an outstanding product," says Mario Thurnherr, Manager of Leica Camera's Photo Division.
Leica Digital & Analog
The Leica Digital-Modul-R combines tradition and progress in a unique way. Nearly all high performance lenses in the Leica R system since 1965 can be used for digital and analogue image recording. The Leica Digital-Modul-R makes full use of their exceptionally high imaging performance. Now you can take digital photographs in the Leica quality you have come to expect.
Leica Digital-Modul-R - Best results in every situation
The new Leica Digital-Modul-R enables you to make the decision spontaneously whether to create your photographs with analog or digital technology and thanks to the accustomed high performance of Leica optics, you can be confident of achieving the best possible results in every situation. And regardless of the analog or digital approach, you have that very special joy of working with a camera that is unique through and through. With its mechanical precision, innovative optics and sophisticated electronics, the SLR system is predestined to implement your ideas at the highest possible photographic level. Intelligent technology provides you with absolute control of your work.
Leica Digital-Modul-R - Automatic or manually
By focusing the lens manually, the photographer positions the plane of sharpness. Using the remarkably bright viewfinder, he or she also coordinates the depth of field and the cropping. The gratifying results are brilliant pictures, even under the most difficult light conditions - accurately controlled by automatic features or manually controlled by the photographer. And now the digital capability of the Leica R9 is just as unique and just as technically refined. A perfect symbiosis of stable value retention and new flexibility in digital image storage and communication.
Leica Digital-Modul-R - Availability
Deliveries of the Leica Digital-Modul-R will start on June 15th 2005. The digital addition to the Leica R SLR range, developed in cooperation with Denmark's Imacon A/S and Kodak's sensor business Kodak ISS has fully met the stringent testing and acceptance conditions of Leica Camera AG and is now ready to market.
Leica Digital-Modul-R - Specifications
• Type: interchangeable digital module, fully compatible with Leica R8 and R9
• Lenses: all Leica R-lenses
• Lenses: Leicaflex / SL / SL2 lenses that have been modified by adding the R-cam
• Image Sensor: 3872 x 2576 Pixels (10 MPixel) CCD-Chip
• Active sensor area: 26.4 x 17.6 mm, focal length extension factor 1.37
• Sensitivity: ISO 100 up to at ISO 1600
• Storage media: SD-card
• Data-formats: RAW (DNG), TIFF, 2 JPEG-compression rates
• Interface: IEEE 1394 Firewire
• Power supply: proprietary Lithium Ionen rechargeable battery pack.
• Color monitor: for image control and menue-controlled settings.
• Shutter cocking: by motor integrated in power unit.
• Size: Comparable to Leica R8 / R9 with Motor-Drive (W x H x D) 158 x 140 x 89 mm.
• Weight: DMR with Power Unit and Battery: 725 g
• DMR complete with R9: 1395 g
• BW-Display shows: Frame counter, ISO, exposure compensation, battery status, self timer, compression rate, resolution, moiré on/off, white balance.
• Menu: sharpness, color saturation, contrast, frame number, contrast of color display, brightness of color display, duration of auto review, histogram on/off, power save options, card formatting, warning signals, audio histogram on/off, date, time, user-profils, firmware update, reset.