Photo Contest - Procedure |
Entries are judged on technical quality, composition, originality, and artistic merit. Entries can be transparencies (slides), prints (no larger than 8-10 inches in size - and don't send prints in frames), or digitally captured images taken at the camera’s highest resolution (prefer RAW capture method). High-resolution scans of transparencies and/or prints may also be loaded onto a CD or DVD and submitted for first-round judging.
Nature's Best Backyards - Submission
Each submission is limited to a total of no more than 20 images, whether they are transparencies, prints, digital files or a combination of each media format. You may submit all entries in one category or spread the submission out as you choose among any or all categories. Entries will be judged on technical quality, composition, originality, and artistic merit. Submit all entries in a single package, with all image materials in protective packaging. Nature’s Best Publishing is not responsible for damage during shipment. For preliminary judging, digital files must be submitted in JPEG format with file size being no larger than 4 megabytes. High quality duplicate transparencies are accepted for first round judging. Each transparency mount, print, or electronic file must bear the photographer’s name, phone number, state or country of residence.
Nature's Best Backyards Photo Contest - Rules
• Entrants must not infringe on the rights of any other photographer, landowner or person or submit images that involve the willful harassment of wildlife or the destruction of habitat and or public/private property.
• All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared in the viewfinder. Nothing should be added to an image, and, aside from minor dust spots, nothing should be taken away. Cropping and minor adjustments to color and contrast are acceptable. If an image is selected as a finalist, the original transparency, negative, or high-resolution electronic file maybe required prior to finalizing contest results.
• Please include with each submission the following type-written information: Your complete contact information, including your email address, street address, and phone number, as well as a brief description of each image and where it was taken (including all of the camera equipment you used to capture the image, such as camera body, lens, film, flash, filters, tripod, etc., and any recorded shutter speed and aperture settings).
• All entries must include a self-addressed envelope of proper size and carrying sufficient return postage. Submissions sent without sufficient return postage will not be returned. If you prefer, you can include a check with your submission, made out to Nature’s Best, for the amount of the expected return postage (and please be specific about the return method you are requesting). If you are using a courier (FedEx, etc.) for your return, please be sure to include a filled out shipping form including your courier account number or credit card number for return postage payment.
• Winning images from competition submissions will be featured in upcoming Nature’s Best Photography issues and may be used for other Nature’s Best Backyards photo contest promotion including but not limited to online presentations and gallery exhibits.
Photo Contest - Categories
• Wildlife: Wild animals photographed in backyard habitats.
• Plant life: Flowers, trees, and other flora in their natural habitat.
• Water life: Manmade or natural ponds, waterfalls and streams in a backyard environment.
• Best backyard: Dramatic / unusual portraits of your completed gardening project.
• Before and after: Dramatic changes in your backyard landscape.
• Backyard fun: People enjoying their backyards.
• Small yard spectaculars: Balcony gardening, town home or small area backyards.
• Schoolyard habitat: Photos from schools that have created backyard habitats.
• Gardening: Portraits of backyard gardening, vegetables, flowers from garden plants.
• Against all odds: Plants that have grown and survived under drastic conditions.
• Youth: Photos in any category by photographers 18-years-old and younger.
• Camera club: Photos in any category from a photo club of 10 or more members.
• A garden community: Creative shots of neighborhood parks that feature backyard habitat areas.
• Garden club: Photos from a garden club of 10 or more members that represent at least five backyard gardens owned by club members.
Nature's Best Backyards Photo Contest - Deadline
Entries are accepted between April 15-July 15, 2005. Final entries must be postmarked or emailed no later than July 15. The contest fee is $10.00 (US) - Please send a check made out to Nature's Best Backyards. One dollar from every entry fee collected will be donated to Backyard Wildlife Habitat education programs.