|Pentax unveils new Optio750Z - 7 Megapixels|
Dennis Hissink : August 16th 2004 - 21:45 CET
Pentax Corporation introduces the new PENTAX Optio750Z to satisfy the needs of advanced users who wish to create gallery-quality photographic works of art, and for anyone who wants higher quality photographs. Positioned at the highest end of the PENTAX Optio Series, the Optio750Z is developed in line with the concept of "true performance in pocket size." It is a high-class, compact and lightweight digital camera that excels in image quality and versatile functionality. The Optio750Z delivers high-precision imaging with 7.0 effective megapixels, a high-performance smc Pentax 5X optical zoom lens, newly developed ASIC (Application Specified Integrate Circuit), and other impressive features. |
In addition to 10 shooting modes that can be easily selected to match different shooting situations, it also offers an array of other handy digital features. To maximize operability, it is equipped with a large mode dial that facilitates easy mode selection and a large low-reflection LCD monitor for enhanced visibility and further shooting freedom. Levers and controls are strategically positioned for unparalleled controllability and as for styling, its high-quality aluminum alloy exterior is designed to convey a classic feel. |
1. High-precision, high-quality imaging
The Optio 750Z employs a 1/1.8-inch primary color CCD with a total of 7.41 megapixels. It also incorporates a high-performance smc PENTAX which compromises 7 groups of 9 elements (2 of which are aspherical lenses) to achieve clear, high-contrast images with optimal compensation for spherical and other aberrations. The lens is also treated with a unique lens coating that keeps ghost and flare to a bare minimum. What’s more, the Optio750Z delivers more natural reproduction of gradations and meticulous color compensation thanks to the newly developed ASIC (Application Specified Integrated Circuit).
2. 5X optical zooming and wide-ranging telephoto to macro shooting
The Optio 750Z is equipped with a powerful smc PENTAX 5X optical zoom lens. To ensure maximum shooting versatility, this 7.8mm-39mm lens offers a focal range covering angles of view equivalent to those of a 37.5mm-187.5mm lens in 35mm format. In combination with the approximate 8X digital zoom, the user can achieve a total of up to 40X zooming. In Macro mode, the user can shoot from as close as 15cm from the subject at all zoom ranges and when the zoom is set at the wide mode end, the user can move in closer still to about 2cm from the subject. The Optio750Z is also equipped with Super macro mode, which allows the user to fill the whole frame with an area measuring approximately 3.37 x 2.47cm.
3. 10 shooting modes for convenient and versatile shooting
To cope with wide-ranging shooting situations, the Optio750Z is equipped with 10 shooting modes, Program, Aperture-priority AE, Shutter-priority AE, Manual, USER, Picture, Panorama assist, 3D image, Digital filter and Movie.
4. Large mode dial
Mode selection is extremely simple with the Optio750Z. Just by turning the large mode dial that's positioned on the top surface, the user can easily select the desired mode.
5. Easy-to-view, easy-to-use LCD Monitor
The 1.8-inch, 134,000-pixel LCD monitor employs a low-reflection mechanism that ensures drastically improved visibility compared to common permeation types of monitor and remains easy-to-view even in bright sunlight. The LCD monitor additionally offers the versatility of being able to swing out over a range of 180 degrees horizontally and 270 degrees vertically, which makes high-angle shooting in a crowd or low-angle shooting in Macro mode exceptionally easy.
6. An easy-to-use camera with a classic design
Despite its compact dimensions, the Optio750Z features an easy-to-hold grip, a large mode dial and strategically placed levers and buttons that maximize operability. Making it even more attractive still, its compact body is made of an attractive aluminum alloy and the front panel is accentuated with classic-looking leather-grained rubber.
7. Auto flash with discharge level compensation and rear curtain sync
The Optio750Z is equipped with an auto flash that discharges automatically in low light. The user can also make use of a flash discharge level compensation function that controls the amount of discharge by ± 2EV in 1/3 steps, which is especially handy when using a flash for a subject at a close distance. The Optio750Z is also equipped with a rear curtain sync function that is ideal for capturing attractive images of light trails.
8. Selectable horizontal/vertical ratios
In addition to the ordinary horizontal and vertical image ratio of 4:3, the user can also choose the 3:2 ratio, which is the equivalent ratio to that of images produced by a 35mm film camera. For those who are more used to film cameras, this ratio setting ensures a more familiar sense of composition and shooting and produces images that can be printed out with no border in a size that's the same as a conventional photograph.
9. Hybrid AF
Autofocusing precision and speed have both been enhanced by the incorporation of hybrid AF. Combining TTL contrast detection with an external passive sensor, it allows the photographer to choose from Wide AF, Spot AF and 11-point area selectable AF, and also features an auxiliary AF LED to achieve the best possible results when shooting in low light.
10. Digital exposure metering mode
Upon selection of Digital exposure metering mode, the user can use the Optio750Z as a high-performance digital exposure meter, with display of EV values at up to two separate points on the monitor for high-precision metering.
11. Movie shooting with sound and voice recording mode
The Optio750Z has the ability to capture VGA video with sound at a rate of 30fps (frames per second) with 640 x 480 recorded pixels up to the full available capacity of the chosen memory card. The Optio750Z is also equipped with a Voice recording mode that records audio only.
12. Other features
(1) Real-time warning display for overexposed (washed out) areas and under exposed (blacked out) areas
(2) TIFF format recording that stores images without compression
(3) Five auto bracketing functions that allow shooting with different levels of exposure, white balance, etc.
(4) Image trimming and resizing
(5) Diverse drive mode functions, such as Continuous shooting mode, Interval shooting mode, Multiple exposure mode, etc.
(6) Digital filter function that's effective not only at the time of shooting but also on recorded images
(7) Mode Pallet that displays all 12 Picture mode icons at once for easy selection
(8) Actual-image optical viewfinder with diopter adjustment (+3m -1 ~+1m -1 )
(9) Folder creation that allows folders to be named by date
(10) Image rotation function that converts vertically shot images to horizontal compositions
(11) Standard image viewer, ACDSee for PENTAX software
(12) USB mass storage class compatibility
(13) PictBridge compatibility
(14) DPOF, ExifPrint and PRINT Image MatchingIII compatibility