|NuCORE announces shipment of CleanCapture |
Dennis Hissink : July 15th 2004 - 13:00 CET
NuCORE Technology announced that it is shipping volume production of its latest generation of CleanCapture image processors, the SiP-1280. The most powerful image processor in its class, the highly integrated SiP-1280 delivers the highest image quality and performance in the market today. "With the introduction of our previous generations of image processors, we have proven that breakthrough features, such as InfiniteBurst capture performance and image quality, are vital considerations for OEMs and the users buying their cameras," states Jim Chapman, chief executive officer for NuCORE Technology. "With the SiP-1280, we are now extending the CleanCapture capabilities enjoyed primarily by DSC to the digital video (DVC) manufacturers.|
SiP-1280 Image Processor Feature Set|
NuCORE's SiP-1280 (SiP means Smart Image Processor) is a full-featured image processor offering outstanding image quality that benefits DVC and DSC OEMs alike. NuCORE's design philosophy is to focus on image quality at every design tradeoff point. This requires a flexible hard-wired image processing pipeline that achieves the highest performance in the industry.
• CleanCapture technology significantly minimizes the introduction of noise and digital artifacts. When coupled with the NDX-1260 Analog Front End, it delivers the highest quality, smallest file size, and lowest noise digital images today.
• InfiniteBurst technology, a highly efficient pipeline architecture, is capable of full resolution, nonstop continuous burst capture of still photos until the memory card is full.
• High Definition (HD) resolution image capture at 15fps provides a sharp, pleasant movie mode experience.
• DirectView-HD resolution component video output to HD displays enables users to view still and video images at HD resolution directly on their HDTVs
• Low power operation saves up to half the power of previous CleanCapture image processors by utilizing a low power digital interface to the LCD display.
• Flexible interface to a variety of popular storage subsystems, such as compact flash cards, SD cards, hard drives and mini-DVD drives, enables a large variety of video and hybrid cameras to be created from a common hardware platform.
• The video camcorder feature set includes an advanced digital zoom engine that offers smooth, precise operation, programmable nonlinear gamma correction to suppress color noise, auto focus enhancements to support the latest lens and CCDs, and an enhanced color filter to improve complementary color accuracy.
• Complete DVD compatibility at the platform level provides support for compression codecs, enabling DVD compatibility critical to the emerging digital living room.
"With the SiP-1280, DVC and DSC manufacturers will be able to take full advantage of the market shift to high-definition digital video," Chapman continued. “No other image processor can offer this level of image quality and performance together with high integration crucial for the emerging hybrid camera market."
The SiP-1280 has two SKUs, the SiP-1280HS for digital still cameras and the SiP-1280DV for digital camcorders and hybrid cameras.
Software, Development Tools that Enable OEM Differentiation
NuCORE provides a full firmware and software solution, a robust developer toolkit that enables manufacturers to bring products to market quickly. Included in the toolset is the NuCamera Firmware, a comprehensive API that allows an OEM to program without the need of direct knowledge of the underlying hardware operation. This allows the camera OEM to preserve his NuCORE platform software investment and migrate that software to successive generations of NuCORE image processors. Over time, this substantially reduces the software investment required to populate camera models with the latest and most exciting new features for end users.
CleanCapture Tuning Tools (CCTT), a real-time camera tuning application that allows OEMs to quickly customize and optimize for their own color science and parameters, is also included. CCTT enables OEMs to rapidly tune images to their preference, preserving years of investment in color science technologies that are important to their brands and their customers. Use of these tools can reduce development cycles by up to 50 percent.
"This passion towards image quality and the enthusiasm to back it up with unique development tools that preserve a camera maker's color science know-how is very important," said Seiichiro Watanabe, NuCORE's founder and Chief Technology Officer. "I have been told many times that development cycles are shrinking, so I am gratified to see that many consumer camera manufacturers now want this type of software and tuning tools."