Dennis Hissink : July 9th 2004 - 08:00 CET
|Canon launches PIXMA personal photolab printers
Canon, a leader in photographic and imaging technology, today launches the PIXMA sub-brand with the release of eight personal photo printers and multifunctionals. PIXMA represents the first time a manufacturer has released 2 picolitre or better droplets across a range. Each of the eight devices features: Futuristic minimalist design: incorporating clean lines, super-gloss finishes and 2-way paper paths that allow book-shelf storage and operation, and Photo printing: at high-speed and with photolab quality or better, and 2 picolitre ink droplets, with 4800 dpi resolution and image FINE II technology. "The new PIXMA range is expected to drive the already rapidly accelerating demand for personal photo printers,"|
"PIXMA is the meeting of form and function; a combination of designer styling, speed, and photolab quality results. Canon hopes PIXMA will do for printing what Digital IXUS did for photography, where consumers chose cutting edge design matched with top performance.", said Mogens Jensen, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging Europe. |
Direct photo printing from digital cameras without the need for a PC is available from five of the eight devices, which support the vendor independent PictBridge standard.
The PIXMA range includes four single function printers with all-round photo print and document performance:
- PIXMA iP1500: 18 ppm range opener
- PIXMA iP2000: 20 ppm, PictBridge, 2-way paper path
- PIXMA iP3000: 23 ppm, PictBridge/CDR and duplex printing, 2-way paper path, single ink
- PIXMA iP4000: 25 ppm, PictBridge/CDR printing, 2-way paper path, single ink, 5-ink ContrastPLUS system for professional quality photo prints,
and four multifunctionals:
- PIXMA MP110: 18 ppm print/scan/copy
- PIXMA MP130: 18 ppm print/scan/copy with PictBridge/photo index sheet
- PIXMA MP750: 25 ppm print/scan/copy, direct photo print, Auto Document Feed, CDR and duplex printing, 2-way paper path, single ink
- PIXMA MP780: as per MP750 but with fax capability
New approach to design
Everything about the PIXMA range design reinforces the trend toward printers being seen as desirable accessories rather than essential appliances. Key features of the PIXMA products are:
- High quality materials with futuristic designs that deliver a new 'look and feel'
- Bookshelf storage and operation with unique 2-way paper path, small footprints and low noise levels
- Functionality such as CDR writing or duplex printing that seamlessly integrates into the main unit
Canon is one of the few companies in the world to manufacture stepper machines; industrial appliances used to fabricate silicon chips. In a special process called FINE, Canon has adapted its technology to create print heads with a tolerance similar to that of integrated circuits, impossible to achieve with traditional print heads, which are assembled from multiple parts.
FINE print heads, featuring high-density multi nozzle design, eject millions of microscopic ink droplets per second. This puts more ink on the page in less time and with greater accuracy for fast grain-free prints of unsurpassed clarity, contrast, colour range and smoothness of tone.
Even the range opening iP1500 can produce a borderless 4" x 6" photo print in approximately 58 seconds. The PIXMA range is optimised for both photo and plain document printing.