|Introduction of the Nikon Coolpix 4100|
Dennis Hissink : May 28th 2004 - 08:00 CET
Nikon today announced the introduction of the COOLPIX4100, a new consumer digital camera with slim dimensions, 4 Megapixel performance and surprisingly simple operation. Building on the success and capabilities of the COOLPIX 3200 and featuring the same stylish grip, the COOLPIX 4100 feels comfortable in the hand and makes operation easy through its enhanced Graphic User Interface (GUI), which displays easy-to-see menus on a bright 1.6-inch TFT LCD monitor. Furthermore, all controls are placed on the back of the camera for convenient access. The COOLPIX 4100 even has the advantage of 14.5MB of internal memory. This allows the user to shoot pictures when there's no SD card inserted, or copy shots between the internal memory and SD cards. |
Like all other models in the popular COOLPIX series, the E4100 has been designed to make things simple for the user and to allow increased versatility without compromising the fun of the moment. In line with this it features 15 handy Scene modes, four of which offer a Scene Assistance function. These do away with most of the preparation when shooting in common situations, achieving quality results when taking shots that range from sunsets to fireworks, to portraits. Users can also enjoy recording movies with sound, preserving special moments in a much more expressive way. |
With a high-quality 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens and 4x digital zoom, the COOLPIX 4100 gives users a high degree of control over the way they compose their shots. The COOLPIX 4100 makes it easy for the user to zoom in close on a single subject or person, zoom out to take group shots, and even use the handy Macro mode which can be used as close as 4cm so that small objects can fill the frame. However you compose, you'll find the COOLPIX 4100 achieves vibrant colors, faithful contrast, and impressive clarity, all made possible by Nikon's advanced image processing algorithms.
A range of other features make shooting more fun. Five Color options comprising Standard color, Vivid color, Black-and-white, Sepia, and Cyanotype can be used to achieve creative results. A handy AF illumination assist function makes it easier to achieve sharp focus when shooting in poor light. A useful Blur Warning function alerts users of shots compromised by camera shake, giving them the choice to record them or not. The COOLPIX 4100 is also compatible with a wide range of rechargeable and disposable batteries, including alkaline batteries, which are easy to find. There's even an AC adapter too, which is available as a handy option.
This camera is scheduled for release in Summer 2004.
Nikon COOLPIX 4100 Feature Highlights:
Exceptionally easy to use
With slim dimensions, a surprisingly light weight and the same stylish grip as the popular COOLPIX 3200, the COOLPIX 4100 enables comfortable shooting with a natural feel. To allow easy access to the variety of convenient functions, all mode dials and controls are located on the back of the camera, while a larger, clear LCD (1.6-inch, 80,000-dot TFT) makes for easy composition and pleasing playback.
Achieves satisfying results
With 4.0 effective Megapixels and a 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens, the COOLPIX 4100 blends high-level clarity with compositional freedom. It also offers the advantage of an AF assist illuminator, which makes it so much easier to obtain sharp focus when shooting subjects in low light.
With 14.5MB of internal storage memory, the COOLPIX 4100 allows the user to take shots at any time, even when not carrying compatible memory media, and enables the copying of shots between the internal memory and SD cards as desired. It's also compatible with a wide range of rechargeable and disposable batteries, including alkaline batteries which can be easily purchased virtually anywhere. Furthermore, a waterproof case is available as an exciting option (Not available in some countries and areas), allowing the user to push the limits of their digital photography by shooting in the rain, in the snow, or even when scuba diving to depths of up to 40m.
Nikon COOLPIX 4100 Major Features
- 4.0 effective Megapixels
- 3x optical Zoom-Nikkor lens with 5.8-17.4mm coverage (equivalent to 35-105mm in 35mm  camera format); digital zoom up to 4x magnification (for a total of 12x when combined with optical zoom)
- AF assist illuminator makes focus easier when shooting in darker situations
- Red-eye reduction makes use of the LED lamp prior to the firing of the flash
- Macro shooting capability as close as 4cm (1.6 in.)
- Simple buttons and easy-to-see user interface enable easy operation, even for first time digital users.
- 14.5MB of internal memory enables the storage of images without a memory card, while two-way copying of stored images can be done between SD memory cards and the internal memory
- Nikon's Best Shot Selector (BSS) takes a series of shots, then automatically picks and records the clearest one
- 15 Scene Modes including four with Scene Assistance function - Scene Modes with Scene Assistance function (Portrait, Night portrait, Landscape, Sports); Other Scene Modes (Sunset, Close up, Museum, Panorama assist, Beach/Snow, Fireworks show, Back light, Party/Indoor, Copy, Dusk/Dawn, and Night landscape)
- Three Movie Modes with sound, including TV movie (640) at 15fps, Small size (320) at 15fps, and Smaller size (160) at 15fps - recordable until SD memory card is full
- Playback options include Full frame playback, Zoom to 10x maximum with photo trimming, and a Small picture function
- Noise Reduction automatically reduces noise to ensure faithful color reproduction in some scene modes
- Plug-and-play USB interface for smooth connection to a computer
- Date Counter imprints the number of days to, or time since a specified occasion
- 5 Color Options, including Standard color, Vivid color, Black-and-white, Sepia, and Cyanotype
- Blur Warning alerts the user of shots compromised by camera shake, giving them the choice to record them or not
- 1.6-in., 80,000-dot TFT LCD monitor with brightness adjustment
- Can be powered by Two rechargeable Nikon EN-MH1 NiMH batteries, One CRV3
- lithium battery, Two LR6 (AA) alkaline batteries, Two FR6/L91 (AA) lithium batteries, EH-62B AC adapter, Two ZR6 (AA) nickel manganese batteries/ nickel batteries
- Long battery life of approx. 260 shots per charge with two EN-MH1 batteries when using the LCD monitor
- Comes with Strap, USB cable, Audio Video cable, Rechargeable battery (EN-MH1), Battery charger MH-71 (Ships with two LR6 (AA) alkaline batteries in some countries and areas), PictureProject CD-ROM, Quick start Guide, and Instruction manual
- Optional accessories include Ni-MH Rechargeable battery EN-MH1-B2, Battery charger MH-71, AC adapter EH-62B, Soft case, SD memory card, and Waterproof case WP-CP1 (Not available in some countries and areas)
- Sleep mode activates when no change in brightness is detected for an extended period, saving energy sooner than the Auto Power Off function
- Offers direct print capability through support of PictBridge (when used with PictBridge compatible printers)
- Language menu allows selection of English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, or Korean for menu displays
- Time zone function can be easily set, making the COOLPIX 4100 an ideal travel companion