|Rave wireless mobile phones|
Ilse Jurriën : August 3th 2006 - 22:03 CET
Rave wireless mobile phones : College and university students around the country will arrive at school this fall and find not only new friends, new challenges, and new opportunities, but also a new revolution in the use of mobile phones on campus - one that provides the entire campus at their blazing-fast, text-messaging fingertips. Using innovative technologies created by Rave Wireless, Inc. (provider of mobile applications and mobile phone programs) providing students with access to unique safety, community-building and academic applications through their mobile phones. More than 100 universities and colleges are currently implementing or exploring Rave Wireless' suite of mobile phone applications and services.|
Rave Academic - Communication|
Gilbert Gonzales, chief information officer at California State University Monterey Bay, explains: "The cell phone today is a natural extension of our campus. Since most students carry a cell phone at all times, it makes sense that we use that mechanism to communicate timely information such as emergency alerts or course announcements to students, wherever they are. Students are highly mobile and highly innovative, and our campus services should be the same."
Rave cell phones - High quality
Mobile phones are ubiquitous among young adults - more than 90 percent carry one - and colleges and universities are eager to leverage the mobile phone to better connect with and deliver services to their students. Some institutions, like Allen University in Columbia, S.C., will distribute to students mobile phones that are pre-loaded with Rave Wireless' applications. Other institutions, like Georgetown University, are taking a different approach and providing students with access to a variety of features they can choose to receive on their existing cell phones. In all cases, the objective is the same - provide a high-quality, differentiated campus experience by meeting students on their preferred technological ground, the mobile phone.
Rave Wireless mobile phones - Applications
The full suite of Rave Wireless' applications and services universities can select from includes:
• Rave Essentials : broadcast alerts to large groups of students; mobile email access; hundreds of social, university and student-created groups; a campus directory; and more.
• Rave Academic : students can access course announcements on the go (e.g. homework or quiz reminders), as well as participate in real-time classroom surveys.
• Rave Guardian : revolutionary service that leverages GPS technologies, allowing students to transform their mobile phones into personal alarm devices, on an as-needed basis. Rave Guardian is fully integrated into the campus police department, improving a student's safety by enabling them to make their GPS location known when they feel unsafe.
• Rave Guardian : institutions can better serve students with special needs, by giving those students a way to contact campus police in the event of a health-related or other emergency.
• Rave Transit : location-specific tracking of campus busses as they traverse their routes.
• Rave Extender : a toolkit that allows universities to build their own custom applications for the mobile phone, such as library resource availability and course add/drop notifications.
• Rave Mobile Phone Program : a complete solution for institutions considering replacing unused residence hall landlines with mobile phones. Services include the deployment, distribution, marketing, and support of Rave-enabled phones on campus, as well as coordination with leading wireless carriers and billing providers.
Rave mobile imaging - Social networking
"Rave Wireless will provide us a way to further strengthen the USF community and improve our ability to communicate with students," said George Ellis, Associate Vice President, University of South Florida. "We were an early innovator with a TXT-based communication system and have now moved to the next generation solution with Rave. This is about everything from instant access to USF students, faculty and staff, to always knowing what's happening on campus at any given moment, to a more convenient way to stay on top of classes and clubs. I believe Rave is going to transform the way colleges and universities communicate and connect with students."
Rave services - Software packages
According to Rodger Desai, chief executive officer at Rave Wireless, "We understand the challenges colleges and universities face in communicating with today's mobile youth and have put together a package of software and services that transforms the mobile phone into a device that strengthens community, improves safety, and enhances learning. Working with our carrier partners, we have also developed a business model that makes the mobile phone an economically attractive option to obsolete landlines in residence halls."
About Rave Wireless
Rave Wireless is the only company to provide a comprehensive set of mobile applications and mobile phone programs that strengthen college and university communities. Rave Wireless' applications enable a previously unimaginable experience across safety, social networking, academics and commerce. Customers include leading institutions nationwide, such as Baruch College of the City University of New York, California State University Monterey Bay, Georgetown University, Montclair State University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the University of South Florida. Rave Wireless is headquartered in New York, NY. Investors include Bain Capital Ventures, Sigma Partners, and RRE Ventures. More information is available on the website of Rave Wireless, Inc.