|Pentax K-5 II|
Ilse Jurriën : September 11th 2012 - 10:20 CET
Pentax K-5 II SLR camera : Pentax Ricoh introduces a new digital SLR camera model, designed to be the successor to the Pentax K-5 (launched in October 2010), which has been very well received for its compact but solid, functional body and high-quality image reproduction. As the flagship model of the K series, the Pentax K-5 II boasts many advanced functions and user-friendly features, including a newly developed AF sensor assuring a broader AF working EV range, to accommodate many kinds of shooting conditions and photographic requirements. The Pentax K-5 II’s high-speed continuous shooting mode allows photographers to record as many as 30 images (in the JPEG format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately seven images per second, ideal when shooting fast-moving subjects.|
LCD monitor on the Pentax K-5 II
The Pentax K-5 II includes a 3.0 inch, wide-view, air-gap-free LCD display with approximately 921,000 dots for excellent visibility when outdoors. Situated between the front glass panel (which is coated with an anti-glare film) and the LCD screen is a unique resin layer that alleviates the reflection and dispersion of light to effectively prevent ghost images and maintain image brightness. The LCD cover of the Pentax K-5 II is also made of tempered glass to keep it free of scratches and abrasions.
Pentax K-5 II features an optical viewfinder
The Pentax K-5 II features a glass pentaprism finder with a 100% field of view and approximately 0.92-times magnification (with a 50mm F1.4 lens at infinity) for an exceptional view of the entire image field and improved accuracy while photographing. The Pentax K-5 II camera is also equipped with the Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen to facilitate manual-focus operation.
Shoot sharp pictures with the Pentax K-5 II
The Pentax K-5 II camera features the Pentax-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which compensates for the adverse effects of camera shake by approximately three shutter steps for blur-free images. The SR mechanism works with a variety of Pentax interchangeable lenses - even those designed for film-format cameras. Thanks to its flexible design, which shifts the image sensor unit in all directions within the image place, the Pentax K-5 II offers several useful features to assist the photographer during shooting, such as auto level compensation and image composition fine-adjustment functions.
Pentax K-5 2 image processing functions
A custom image function allows users to easily select the desired finishing touch for a particular image to help express their creativity. This function provides a choice of nine distinctive custom image modes, such as Bleach Bypass, which creates a solemn visual effect used in motion pictures, and Cross Process, which produces eye-catching images with unique, dramatic colors. The Pentax K-5 II also offers 18 built-in digital filters, including sketch and posterization, to add distinctive visual effects to images without the need for software-aided computer re-touching.
Pentax K-5 II camera features
• Electronic Level function, with a vertical level scale
• Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available only with DA,D FA and FA Limited series lenses)
• CTE mode, to automatically adjust the white balance to emphasize the dominant colors of a specific scene
• DR II (Dust Removal II) mechanism, to effectively shake dust off the CMOS image sensor using ultrasonic vibration
• Pentax-original Hyper Control system, to swiftly and accurately respond to the photographer’s creative intentions
• Dynamic range expansion function, to compensate for both whitewashed (overexposed) highlight area and blackout (underexposed) shadow area
• RAW data retrieve function to save the original RAW data of a just-recorded JPEG format image
• RAW/Fx button, for single-action switching of image file format, as well as for assignment and instant recall of a specific function
• A choice of three grid patterns while in Live View mode, including “Golden Section”
• Long battery life, for recording of approximately 980 images with a full recharge
Pentax K-5 II price & availability
The new Pentax K-5 II will be available at retail outlets nationwide and online in October 2012 with a suggested retail price of $1,200 for body only, $1,350 for the K-5 II kit including the DA 18-55mm WR zoom lens and $1,550 for the K-5 II kit including the DA 18-135mm WR zoom lens.
Pentax K-5 II review
As soon as we receive a Pentax K-5 II test sample, we will publish a sample photo gallery with high resolution pictures, followed by an extensive Pentax K-5 II review.