Ilse Jurriën : February 2nd 2012 - 15:45 CET updated
Pentax K-01 system camera : Pentax Ricoh Imaging announces its first interchangeable lens camera. Designed by Marc Newson, one of the most acclaimed contemporary designers, the Pentax K-01 looks as good from the inside as it does from the outside. With the 16 megapixel Pentax K-01 (pronounced ‘kay- zero-one’) system camera, Pentax pushes boundaries in terms of camera size, color, durability, and design. The timeless Pentax K-01 system camera houses a full array of advanced functions and user-friendly features in a camera body with remarkable form and function. The elimination of an optical viewfinder and quick-return mirror gave Marc Newson more freedom in designing the camera body.
Pentax K-01 designed by Marc Newson
The Pentax K-01 system camera showcases Newson originality in every detail. Available in black, white and Newson’s signature yellow colors, the Pentax K-01 features the designer’s autograph logo stamp on the bottom of each camera. Widely known for designing a wide range of objects from furniture and household products to bicycles, cars, aircraft and yachts, Marc Newson has had collected works displayed in The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York City and many other major museums.
Pentax K-01 kit lens
Pentax also announces a new lens, the smc Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS interchangeable lens, also designed by marc newson. As the world’s thinnest interchangeable lens, the new Pentax DA 40mm combines with the Pentax K-01 camera body to deliver a unique ILC system that is perfect for photographers who are as keen on design as they are on performance. Together, the Pentax K-01 and DA 40mm lens system mark the intersection where high technology and high design meet.
Features of the Pentax K-01
• Pentax K-01 offers a durable aluminum frame under a stylish black, white, or yellow exterior.
• 16 megapixel APS-C sized CMOS sensor with low noise image capture and multiple aspect ratios.
• Pentax K-01 mirrorless body design, compatible with 25+ million Pentax K-mount lenses.
• Sensor-shift Pentax Shake and Dust Reduction system, compatible with every Pentax lens.
• The Pentax K-01 incorporates a bright, high-resolution 3-inch LCD with 920,000 dots.
• Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p).
• Pentax K-01 is equipped with fast 6 FPS burst mode, ideal for fast-action photography.
• Flexible ISO range of 100-25600 ensures gorgeous noise-free imaging in any lighting condition.
• Focus peaking mode provides fast and accurate manual focusing for critical focus applications.
Pentax K-01 price & availability
The Pentax K-01 will be available in yellow, black and white in March 2012 for $750 USD (Pentax K-01 body only) and $900 USD (lens kit including new DA 40mm XS) in Marc Newson designed packaging and with the Marc Newson designed strap. The smc Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS unifocal interchangeable standard lens will ship at the same time for $250 USD.
Pentax K-01 review
The moment we receive a Pentax K-01 test sample, we will publish a sample photo gallery with high resolution pictures and videos, accompanied by an extensive Pentax K-01 review.