Ilse Jurriën : January 5th 2011 - 10:50 CET
Fujifilm FinePix XP30
Fujifilm FinePix XP30 digital camera : Fujifilm has raised the bar in the competitive outdoor compact camera sector by introducing the FinePix XP30; the world's first water, shock, dust and freeze proof model featuring built-in GPS functionality. Continuing in the tradition set by the XP10 that it replaces, the FinePix XP30 offers a competitively-priced entry into the sector with a specification that will ensure outdoor-loving photographers or adventure sports enthusiasts are well catered for. In addition to GPS and its rugged build quality, the camera also features 14.2 megapixel resolution with an impressive 5 times wide zoom with optical image stabilization to shoot sharp image quality in any condition. |
Fujifilm FinePix XP30 with GPS function
With a Fujifilm FinePix XP30 in their rucksack, outdoor photographers will be able take their pictures to new heights without the steep price tag! An increasing number of compact cameras feature GPS tagging, but only the Fujifilm FinePix XP30 features this type of functionality in a rugged, outdoor model. What's more, the GPS features on the camera won't only tell you where you are in the world; it offers additional functions that are essential for outdoor shooting and will make you wonder how you ever managed without them.
Fujifilm XP30 offers location information
Locations can be displayed either as longitude and latitude or by place name. The Fujifilm FinePix XP30 has an embedded list featuring around half a million places of interest across the globe. When a shot is taken, the image is tagged with location information, enabling you to quickly find shots of a place you've visited. Should users then want to create a photobook of a specific location they can do so using the Photobook Assist function where you can tag images then turn the pages of the book on the camera's rear LCD.
Photo Navigation mode on the Fujifilm FinePix XP30
But that's not all. If you visit a location that you want to return to but can't remember which way to go, the Photo Navigation mode is invaluable. Simply find a shot of the location and the Fujifilm FinePix XP30 will not only tell you how far it is from your current spot, it'll show you the direction you need to travel to get there. For those who want to re-trace their steps and map a route of their travels, the Route Logging function is sure to appeal.
Fujifilm FinePix XP30 digital camera
The new Fujifilm FinePix XP30 digital camera stores location data every 10 minutes and, once the images are downloaded to a PC through MyFinePix Studio (bundled image viewing software), a map of the route, along with the pictures you took along the way is created using Google Maps.
Fujifilm FinePix XP30 waterproof camera features
The Fujifilm FinePix XP30 is ready for anything you can throw it. Thanks to the ‘4 way Protection’ system, you'll be able to keep taking pictures long after conventional cameras have been packed away. With a riveted front panel and rounded body shape featuring a smart two-tone design, the Fujifilm FinePix XP30 camera is:
• Waterproof to 5 metres, making it perfect for underwater photography, for taking pictures in heavy rain or snow, or simply for running it under the tap when it gets dirty
• Shockproof up to 1.5 metres, so it'll handle being dropped or knocked around in a trucksack
• Dust / Sandproof, meaning you can take it to the beach without having to worry about the sand
• Freezeproof to -10°C, perfect for skiing, snowboarding or any other sub-zero activities
• Quality optics deliver perfect pictures
• Sporting a Fujinon 5x wide optical zoom covering 28 - 140 mm (35 mm equivalent), the FinePix XP30 is well equipped to deliver high quality images. In addition to the fine optical quality, the XP30 features Fuji's advanced Optical Image Stabilisation system to help combat camera shake. Pictures can be taken and still be blur-free, making it ideal for underwater and night-time shooting.
Fujifilm FinePix XP30 camera technologies
As well as offering all the benefits of an outdoor camera, the FinePix XP30 is also a great picture-taking machine in its own right. It boasts a full range of flash overrides, face detection for perfect portraits and a healthy selection of subject-based scene modes, which includes Motion Panorama which automatically stitches up to three shots to create panoramic picture.
Fujifilm in-camera retouching functions
There's even a number of in-camera retouching functions including crop, rotate and red-eye removal. Outdoor photographers wanting to shoot video aren't neglected either; the FinePix XP30 offers HD movie capture of 720p at 30 frames per second or conventional 640 x 480 pixel definition.
Fujifilm FinePix XP30 review, price & availability
The Fujifilm FinePix XP30 will be available in mid-February 2011 at $239.95. An accessory kit containing an adjustable float strap, protective silicone skin and a neoprene sports case will be available in March 2011. As soon as we receive an Fujifilm FinePix XP30 test sample, we will publish a photo gallery with high resolution pictures, followed by an extensive Fujifilm FinePix XP30 review.
Fujifilm FinePix XP30 specifications
• 14.2 megapixel resolution
• GPS functionality
• 5x wide optical zoom covering 28 - 140 mm (35mm equivalent)
• CCD shift image stabilisation
• 2.7 inch rear LCD with 230,000 pixels
• Waterproof to five metres
• Shockproof up to 1.5 metres
• Freezeproof to -10°C
• Dust / Sandproof
• Motion Panorama mode
• Available in Black, Silver, Orange, Blue, Green and White