Ilse Jurriën : September 9th 2010 - 14:45 CET
Pentax K-r digital SLR camera : Pentax Imaging has announced a new digital SLR line with color accents that allow owners to choose one that matches their personal style. The colorful Pentax K-r DSLR camera offers advanced yet simple to use features at an attractive price. The compact, lightweight Pentax K-r is easy to use with Auto Picture, Scene, and Custom Image Processing modes that take the guesswork out of shooting stunning images while still offering a high degree of manual and priority control. The Pentax K-r SLR offers a variety of new and improved features including a fast framerate, high ISO sensitivity, responsive autofocus, an improved 12.4 megapixel low-noise sensor and widescreen HD video capture that take it a step above an entry-level DSLR camera.|
12 megapixel Pentax K-r DSLR camera
The Pentax K-r incorporates a new generation CMOS image sensor with 12 megapixels and the high-performance PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II imaging engine for accurate and high-speed data processing equal to that of upper-level Pentax digital SLR models for high-quality images. The Pentax Kr camera also offers a wide sensitivity range between ISO 200 and ISO 12800 that may be expanded from ISO 100 to ISO 25600 via a custom function.
Pentax K-r autofocus system and high-speed shooting mode
Even with the 23.6mm x 15.8mm image sensor, the Pentax K-r features a compact, lightweight, stainless-steel chassis with in-body Shake Reduction in a space-efficient design. The Pentax K-r's high-speed continuous shooting mode records as many as 25 images (in JPEG recording format) in a single sequence at a maximum speed of approximately six images per second (fastest of all entry-class models) for sharp, crisp images of fast-moving subjects. The Pentax K-r's high-precision, wide-frame SAFOX IX autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) for pinpoint focus on the subject. The Pentax K-r is also equipped with a spotbeam projector to assist the AF system in poorly lit locations. Accuracy and speed of contrast AF operation during Live View shooting is enhanced with a new-generation image sensor and drastic upgrading of AF algorithms.
Pentax Kr optical viewfinder and 3" LCD display
The Pentax-original finder optics and the renowned Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen ensure the Pentax K-r's viewfinder offers a bright, clear subject image at 0.85X magnification and with a 96% field of view. The viewfinder offers excellent visibility even in bright outdoor locations and provides delay-free, real-time display of the subject's image. This is helpful when shutter release timing is critical such as in sports photography. The in-focus point is indicated as a red point in the viewfinder for at-a-glance confirmation. The Pentax Kr features a large, 3" high-resolution color LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots and its wide-view design assures a clear view of the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees horizontally and vertically, making it particularly useful in low- and high-angle applications during Live View shooting.
Pentax K-r SLR offers Shake Reduction function
The new Pentax K-r features the Pentax-developed SR (Shake Reduction) mechanism, which effectively compensates the adverse effect of camera shake by up to approximately four shutter steps. This innovative mechanism extends its benefits to almost all Pentax interchangeable lenses - even those designed for film-format cameras. The Pentax K-r DSLR produces sharp, blur-free images even under demanding conditions prone to camera shake, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark without flash illumination, and shooting sunsets.
Pentax K-r image processing functions
• Custom Image function : The Pentax K-r features the Custom Image function to allow users to select a desired finishing touch for a particular image with a choice of nine custom image modes including Bleach Bypass, designed to create a dramatic visual effect used in motion pictures.
• Digital Filter function : The Pentax K-r's Digital Filter function allows users to process recorded images in a variety of creative ways and produce highly creative visual expressions - without a computer. Users may choose from 18 filters, including a new Starburst, Sketch and Posterization and may now apply filter upon filter, one after another, to an image for more creative results.
• Cross Process mode : The Pentax K-r DSLR features the unique Cross Process mode that automatically shifts photographic parameters for each exposure to create eye-catching images with dramatic colors (as with photographs treated with the cross process in film photography). In addition to "Random", where the results are unpredictable until the image has been processed, users now have two new options: "Preset" with three different sets of preset parameters; and "Favorite" with user-input parameters. A film development technique that uses unconventional film development to create a distinctive finish with dramatic, stylized colors.
• High Dynamic Range function : The Pentax K-r features the High Dynamic Range function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures without a computer. Users may choose from Auto, Standard and Expanded (at three levels) modes to accommodate different creative intentions. An Auto Align function allows use even with handheld shooting.
Pentax K-r equipped with high-speed infrared data transmission system
The Pentax K-r is the first Pentax digital SLR camera equipped with the IrSimple high-speed infrared data transmission system, which allows users to transfer image data to IrSimple-compatible digital devices and post their Pentax K-r images on the web via a cellular phone. This also allows users to exchange image data between two Pentax K-r cameras and play a simple match game using image Exif data (such as aperture or shutter-speed values) to judge images and offer techniques and suggestions for better images.
Movie recording function on the Pentax Kr SLR
The Pentax K-r provides a movie-recording function, which captures beautiful, true-to-life movie clips in 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 25 frames per second. This extends many benefits of high-quality SLR photography to the world of movie shooting: For example, users may reduce the depth of field to make a subject stand out, or use different interchangeable lenses to create distinctive visual effects. The Pentax Kr SLR camera also assures a greater possibility of visual presentation in movies - either through the application of digital filters, such as Toy Camera and Retro, to add specific visual effects during shooting, or through the use of various movie-editing functions after shooting.
Pentax K-r DSLR camera battery
In addition to the rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which allows the photographer to capture approximately 560 images with a single recharge, the Pentax K-r can also be powered by four AA-size batteries using optional AA Battery Holder D-BH109.
Pentax K-r price & availability
With a highly portable, compact and lightweight body in a choice of colors, the Pentax K-r holds appeal for busy parents, family memory-keepers, travelers and anyone who reflects personal style in all their pursuits including their journey into photography or videography as a skill or hobby. The Pentax K-r digital SLR will ship in October 2010 for as follows:
• Pentax K-r Body Kit : $799.95 USD
• Pentax K-r Lens Kit w 18-55 : $849.95 USD
• Pentax K-r Double Lens Kit w 18-55, 50-200 : $899.95 USD
• Pentax K-r Double Lens Kit w 18-55, 55-300 : $999.95 USD
smc Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 AL lens
Pentax also announced the smc Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 AL, standard lens designed exclusively for use with Pentax digital SLR cameras. This new lens is versatile enough to be used with a wide range of subjects and applications for high-resolution images with edge-to-edge sharpness. It is a perfect choice for digital SLR beginners to familiarize themselves with the basics of using interchangeable lenses. The Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 AL lens also will ship in October for $219.95 USD.
Pentax K-r review
As soon as we receive a Pentax K-r test sample, we will publish a photo gallery with high resolution pictures, followed by an extensive Pentax K-r review.