Ilse Jurriën : August 26th 2010 - 20:40 CET
Ricoh G700 digital camera : Ricoh releases the new Ricoh G700 digital camera with water and dust resistance for safe and reliable use even in difficult environments such as those encountered in on-site work situations. Successor model to the popular Ricoh G600, the new Ricoh G700 has achieved shock resistance capable of withstanding a 2.0 m drop (1.5 m when wide conversion lens is attached) in Ricoh drop testing carried out based on US Department of Defense standards, and it is also capable of underwater shooting for up to two hours at depths up to 5.0 m. In addition, the Ricoh G700 features newly added chemical resistance to ethanol and hypochlorous acid as well as strengthened security functions such as password-protection.|
Ricoh G700 waterproof camera
The Ricoh G700 inherits the previous model’s 5x optical wide-angle zoom lens (equivalent to 28-140 mm for a 35 mm camera) and 10 m flash range. It is perfect for use in a wide range of environments, such as construction, public works, and disaster sites as well as medical facilities and production sites where equipment must be cleaned and disinfected.
Ricoh G700 water and shock resistant digital camera
• A shock resistant structure and stronger lens barrel create a robust body able to withstand falls from 2.0 m onto 26 surfaces in drop testing conforming to US Department of Defense “MIL Standard 810F.” (With optional wide conversion lens attached, 1.5 m.)
• The Ricoh G700 meets this same drop standard even with the power on.
• The popular water resistance of the previous model has been further improved, giving the Ricoh G700 JIS/IEC water resistance protection grade 8 performance. This means that not only can the Ricoh G700 be used in the rain, it can also be washed with water and used for underwater photography at a depth up to 5 m (for up to 2 hours).
• Dust resistance continues to satisfy JIS/IEC protection grade 6. Pictures can be taken in environments with high concentrations of dust and sand.
• The Ricoh G700’s chemical resistance means that in addition to water washing it can handle disinfection with ethanol and hypochlorous acid. So it can be safely used in medical and production facilities (food, pharmaceuticals, etc.) where hygiene management is necessary.
• Cold resistance specifications enable operation even at -10℃.
• The skillful placement of large buttons makes operation easy, even with gloves on.
Ricoh G700 features a 3" LCD display
• The Ricoh G700 has a large 3.0-inch 920,000-dot VGA high-definition picture display. Easy to see even outdoors, this display makes it possible to take more precise photographs.
• The installation of a light sensor makes it possible to increase picture display visibility by automatically adjusting brightness based on the ambient light level.
• We have also added the electronic level function that has proved extremely popular on models such as the GR DIGITAL III. It makes it easy to take level pictures when shooting subjects such as buildings and interiors.
Ricoh camera security functions
• The Ricoh G700 is compatible with the SanDisk Corporation SD WORM (write-once read-multiple) card standard. Since deletes, changes, and card initialization cannot be done, these cards are suitable for use in place of film for original document management by police, etc.
• Operation lock and restriction settings are possible at various levels, including locking of the operations of the entire camera, locking of internal memory playback, restriction to SD-WORM cards only, restriction of camera setting changes, etc. The locks and restrictions can be removed through password entry with a software keyboard or bar code.
• For still photographs taken with the image manipulation detection function on, by loading the image onto a PC and using the EC1 software provided, it is possible to check to see whether manipulation or editing has been done since the image was shot. This makes it possible to provide digital photographic images with a high degree of reliability as evidence.
Ricoh G700 camera functions
• With the camera memo function, it is possible to record memos in the image data by selecting information from a list prepared on a PC. This facilitates later searching and organizing of images. Using this function, links with various types of business-use image management software are possible. Up to 20 information fields can be recorded. Memos can also be recorded in internal memory. Selection from multiple memos is possible using up to 99 files.
• Memo information can be combined with photographed images. Using the EX1 software provided, it is also possible to convert camera memo information into file names.
• One and two dimensional (QR codes, etc.) bar codes can be read with the lens. The data read can be recorded in a camera memo.
• The Ricoh G700 is compliant with the PictBridge standard that allows direct connection to a printer without routing through a personal computer. More diverse printing is possible, such as printing on forms registered in the printer, when connected to Ricoh printerss.
• Skew correction mode can modify photographs taken at an angle so that they look as if they were shot squarely. A powerful tool for various scenes, such as message boards and display panels.
Ricoh G700 flash
• The flash has an effective range of up to 10 m for wide-angle and 6.2 m for telephoto.
• There is also an accessory shoe where an external flash can be attached.
Ricoh G700 camera body
• Compact body size of 118.8 mm (W) × 71.0 mm (H) × 41.0 mm (D).
• Light body weight of approximately 280 g. This weight does not include the rechargeable battery, SD memory card, and neck strap supplied.
• The flat design uses a non-protruding inner-zoom lens so that the lens does not extend out from the body regardless of whether the power is on or off.
• With the wide and long strap, it is possible to now suspend the camera diagonally in addition to the horizontal and vertical positions of the previous model.
Ricoh G700 boosts a 28-140mm wide-angle zoom lens
• The Ricoh G700 has a 28-140 mm wide-angle zoom lens. It can cover the whole of a large building and frame pictures well in confined areas, and the 5x optical zoom can reach subjects too inaccessible to shoot from close by.
• For wider shots, there is an optional wide conversion lens (35 mm film camera equiv: 22 mm).
• Commercially available 37 mm filters can also be attached.
Other features of the Ricoh G700
• The large-capacity lithium ion battery provided with the camera gives long battery life for approximately 360 shots (CIPA standard). If the battery runs out, readily-available AAA-size alkaline batteries can be used instead, and an optional AC adapter is convenient for indoor use. With the AAA-size alkaline batteries, approximately 40 shots (CIPA standard) can be taken.
• Macro mode gets as close as 1 cm from the subject.
• When the camera is connected to a personal computer via a USB cable, it is recognized as an external storage device, so images in the camera can be transferred to the computer without using special software. Full-automatic transfer is also available with the special software.
• A high-definition 1/2.3 CCD with approximately 12.1 million effective pixels is included.
Ricoh G700 accessories
Accessories packaged with the camera include rechargeable battery, battery charger, USB cable, AV cable, CD-ROM (software), and neck strap. Optional accessories include:
• Wide Conversion Lens : DW-5
• Rechargeable Battery : DB-65
• Battery Charger : BJ-6
• AC Adapter : AC-5c
• Soft Case : SC-700
Ricoh G700 review
As soon as we receive a Ricoh G700 test sample, we will publish a photo gallery with high resolution pictures, followed by an extensive Ricoh G700 review.