Dennis Hissink : June 4th 2010 - 14:45 CET
Lensbaby Control Freak accessory : Lensbaby announces the availability of its third Creative Effects SLR camera lens, the Control Freak. The Control Freak joins the Composer and the Muse in the Lensbaby lens line-up. The Control Freak is the new evolution of the Lensbaby 3G, and is optimized for macro photography with extensive focus control. The Control Freak is compatible with the Lensbaby Optic Swap system. The Control Freak is an ideal Lensbaby lens for tabletop and macro photography. With the Control Freak, photographers can compress and bend the lens to find their desired focus, and then lock it in place with the push of a button. The new Lensbaby accessory is immediate available, suggested retail price is $350.|
Lensbaby accessory gives photographer focus control
Once locked, users can fine tune their focus using the fine focus ring and fine tune the tilt by rotating the knobs on the end of the Control Freak's three metal rods. This new Lensbaby accessory gives photographers an exceptional degree of focus control, which is very useful for macro photography. Photographers can also push out on the focusing collar to focus as close as 9 inches away from their subject. Using the Control Freak in conjunction with the Lensbaby Macro Kit allows for even closer focus (6-9 inches with the +4 macro filter, 3-5 inches with the +10 macro filter, 2-3 inches when the +4 and +10 are stacked together and about 1.75-2 inches when pushing out on the focusing collar with the +4 and +10 stacked).
Lensbaby optic accessory for wide range effects
The Lensbaby Control Freak, featuring the Lensbaby Optic Swap System, ships with a Double Glass Optic installed. Additional optics can be swapped in and out of the Control Freak, providing photographers with a wide range of creative effects. When a photographer wants to change the optic in their Lensbaby Control Freak, they simply pop the optic out and drop in a different optic. Each optic has different features and image qualities, allowing photographers to choose the look that fits their creative style.
Fisheye combined with Lensbaby Control Freak focus super close to subject
The Fisheye Optic (which requires a special adapter to use with the Control Freak), when used with the Lensbaby Control Freak, allows photographers to focus from zero inches to infinity, meaning that photographers can literally lay an item on the surface of the Fisheye Optic and focus on it. However, from about 3 inches to infinity, the metal rod knobs will often be visible due to the Fisheye Optic’s 160 degree angle of view.
Control Freak Lensbaby accessory for creative photography
Another unique feature of the Lensbaby Control Freak is the option to shoot in either free form or locked mode. Photographers can easily switch from shooting in locked mode with fine focus and tilt control for a tabletop shoot, to shooting street photography quickly and seamlessly by choosing not to lock the Control Freak in place. The ability to choose modes can also be particularly helpful when shooting video due to the very dreamy and surreal look the Control Freak Lensbaby accessory produces when shooting in free form mode, as compared to the more controlled blur when shooting with the Control Freak locked down.
Lensbaby Optic Swap System
• Double Glass: A 50mm f/2 multi-coated optical glass doublet, providing a tack-sharp Sweet Spot of focus with minimal diffusion at all aperture settings. Retail price: U.S. $84.95
• Single Glass: A 50mm f/2 uncoated optical glass singlet, similar to the primitive optic found in antique cameras. Retail price: U.S. $34.95
• Plastic: A 50mm f/2 plastic singlet that maximizes blur and diffusion in a dreamy way that Holga and Diana camera lovers will especially appreciate. Retail price: U.S. $34.95
• The Pinhole/Zone plate: an optic cup with an f/177 aperture hole to allow for classic pinhole photography and an f/19 Zone plate opening. Retail price: U.S. $34.95
• Fisheye: An ultra-wide 12mm focal length and 160 degree field of view captures eye-popping fisheye views from infinity all the way down to zero inches from the front of your lens when used with the Control Freak. Retail price: U.S. $149.95.
• Soft Focus: This 50mm Soft Focus Optic creates a velvety soft image perfect for portraits, flowers, landscapes or any subject that needs a soft touch. Soft Focus has a look that is evenly soft throughout the image without the Sweet Spot of sharp focus created by our selective focus optics. Retail price: U.S. $89.95.
• The Single Glass, Plastic, and Pinhole/Zone plate optics are sold individually as well as in an Optic Boxed Kit that retails for $94.95. The Fisheye ($149.95) and Soft Focus ($89.95) optics are each sold separately.
Lensbaby Control Freak specifications
• Priced at U.S. $350
• Provides film makers with the unique ability to shoot both free-hand and locked down
• Allows for extremely close focus (zero inches in front of the lens) when used with the Fisheye Optic (a special adapter is required to use the Fisheye Optic with the Control Freak)
• Compatible with the Lensbaby Optic Swap System
• Focus Type: Manual
• Ships with the Double Glass Optic installed which includes the following apertures: f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11, f/16, f/22
• Aperture Type: Interchangeable levitating aperture disks
• Minimum Focus: approximately 9” (23 cm) / Maximum Focus: Infinity
• Size/Weight: 3.41” (8.66cm) high x 3.49” (8.86) wide / 6.9 oz. (195.6 grams)