Ilse Jurriën : March 11th 2010 - 11:05 CET
Pentax 645D medium format SLR camera : Hoya Corporation Pentax Imaging Systems Division is pleased to announce the launch of the Pentax 645D lens-interchangeable, medium format digital SLR camera. Thanks to the incorporation of a large image sensor, equal in performance to professional-standard digital camera backs, this high-performance model delivers super-high-resolution images with approximately 40 effective megapixels. It also offers outstanding dependability and superb operability and maneuverability to make outdoor shooting effortless and comfortable for demanding photographers.|
Pentax 645D medium format camera
The Pentax 645D has been developed to provide super-high-resolution images produced by large image sensors - something previously available only on professional models - to serious landscape and outdoor photographers. It combines exceptional image quality with excellent maneuverability and outstanding reliability to simplify professional-level outdoor shooting. Thanks to the incorporation of a large, high-performance image sensor (measuring 44mm by 33mm) and Pentax original image-processing technology, it produces extra-sharp, super-high-resolution images with approximately 40 effective megapixels. It features remarkable durability and dependability, thanks to its lightweight but solidly built body featuring a magnesium-steel-alloy frame, reinforced glass LCD panel protectors and a reliable dustproof, weather-resistant construction. In addition, it is designed to be compatible with the majority of the existing Pentax 645 system, so that current Pentax 645-series camera users can take advantage of their valuable assets, including high-performance smc Pentax 645 interchangeable lenses.
40 megapixel Pentax 645D SLR camera
The Pentax 645D incorporates a high-performance CCD image sensor produced by Kodak. It measures 44mm by 33mm, and is approximately 1.7 times larger than its 35mm-format counterparts. Thanks to approximately 40 effective megapixels, it assures a wide dynamic range to faithfully reproduce the prevailing ambience and the sense of depth in super-high-resolution images that are rich in gradation and truthful in texture description. In order to bring out the full potential of the lens and the image sensor and assure the highest level of image-resolving power, the CCD unit is designed with no low-pass filters.
Pentax 645D equipped with PRIME II image processor
The Pentax 645D camera features the acclaimed, Pentax-original PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) II as its imaging engine. Thanks to its high-speed dataprocessing capacity and new algorithm exclusively programmed for medium-format digital SLR cameras, this high-performance imaging engine produces super-high quality images rich in gradation and faithful in color reproduction, while allowing speedy data transmission of large-volume image data - even RAW-format images as large as some 50MB per file. The Pentax 645D medium format camera features a high-performance A/D converter, which faithfully converts the large volume of analog image data output by the large CCD image sensor to digital signals carrying an extensive amount of image data, including resolution and gradation.
Pentax 645D body
The Pentax 645D’s main frame is made of lightweight but strong magnesium steel alloy, while the chassis is made of diecast aluminum to minimize the expansion and extension caused by heat and also to optimize kinematic accuracy and thermal stability. The LCD panels - one on the camera’s top panel, another on the back panel - are covered with tempered glass plates for extra protection. The Pentax 645D’s body is also designed to be a compact and highly maneuverable medium format camera, despite the incorporation of such dependable features as a dust-proof, weather-resistant construction with 70 special seals, outstanding cold-resistant performance to assure solid operation at a temperature as low as -10°C, and a newly designed shutter unit with a top shutter speed of 1/4000 second that can withstand as many as 50,000 shutter releases.
Pentax 645D features a dual memory card slot
The Pentax 645D SLR camera has a pair of memory card slots for the recording of images on both SD and SDHC memory cards. This dual-slot design gives the photographer extra data-storage options: for instance, recorded images can be assigned to different cards according to recording format (such as RAW or JPEG), or one of the cards can be used as the backup of the other. The settings for each memory card slot can be easily made by dedicated button.
Dust reduction system on the Pentax 645D medium format
The Pentax 645D camera comes equipped with the highly dependable DR (Dust Removal) II mechanism, which effectively minimizes annoying dust spots on recorded images, even when the lenses are changed in dust-prone outdoor settings. By shifting UV/IR-cut filters placed in front of the CCD image sensor at supersonic speed using a piezoelectric element, this mechanism effectively and efficiently shakes dust off the image sensor. Thanks to the user-friendly dust-alert system, the photographer can check at a quick glance for dust adhering to the image sensor prior to the actual shooting.
Pentax 645D employs a 11-point wide-frame AF sensor
The Pentax 645D’s new SAFOX IX + wide-frame autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) to assure the extra-high-precision focusing demanded of medium-format digital SLR cameras. To develop this sophisticated AF system, the entire optical system was redesigned, at the same time with the addition of the new functionality to analyze and make use of the light sources data in the field of view.
Pentax 645D equipped with 77-segment multi-pattern metering
The Pentax 645D medium format employs a state-of-the-art, 77-segment multi-pattern metering system to assure super-high-accuracy light metering. The exposure accuracy is further enhanced by collecting such additional data as image orientation (horizontal or vertical) and the distance to and magnification of the subject using the sensors installed inside the camera body, with the obtained data incorporated into exposure calculations. Incorporated in the Pentax 645D’s finder unit, a trapezoid-shaped glass prism not only assures an approximately 98% field of view, but also greatly contributes to the downsizing of the camera body. Coupled with a bright, easy-to-focus Natural-Bright-Matte focusing screen, the Pentax 645D’s viewfinder offers a large, clear view of the subject.
Custom Image function on the Pentax 645D camera
The Pentax 645D’s Custom Image function lets the user easily control an image’s finishing touches to more precisely reflect the user’s creative intentions, or to more faithfully reproduce the ambience of the scene. The user can select one of eight modes, including the new Reversal Film mode designed to create images with the colors that are typical of reversal film. In addition, all parameters - such as saturation, hue, contrast, sharpness, key, and highlight/shadow contrast - can be easily adjusted to desired levels, so that the photographer can shoot images with great ease.
Pentax 645D multi-mode exposure system
• Hyper Program function : The Pentax 645D’s Hyper Program function allows the user to instantly switch from Programmed AE mode to Shutter- or Aperture-Priority AE mode with a simple turn of the electric dials positioned around the grip. A single push of the green button shifts the exposure mode back to the original Programmed AE mode.
• Hyper Manual function : When shooting in the Metered Manual mode, the Pentax 645’s Hyper Manual mode lets the user to instantly set the proper exposure for the subject with a single push of the green button.
• Sensitivity-Priority mode : The unique Sensitivity-Priority (Sv) mode automatically selects the optimum combination of aperture and shutter speed for the user-selected sensitivity. The sensitivity can be shifted swiftly by electronic dial on the back panel. The variable amount of the ISO could be configured to either 1/2 or 1/3 steps per click.
• Shutter/Aperture-Priority mode : Taking full advantage of the unique capability of digital cameras for the automatic shifting of sensitivity at any time, the Shutter/Aperture-Priority (TAv) mode automatically selects the most appropriate sensitivity for the user-selected aperture/shutter-speed combination. It allows the user to effortlessly experiment with a greater range of photographic expressions.
Pentax 645D features a 3" LCD monitor
Positioned on the camera’s back panel, a large 3.0-inch color LCD monitor with approximately 921,000 dots provides a clear, bright view of onscreen images and menus. Since its wide-view design allows quick, effortless confirmation of the monitor image from approximately 170 degrees both horizontally and vertically, the photographer has little difficulty shooting images from low and high angles. The LCD monitor is also treated with exclusive AR (Anti-Reflection) coating to minimize reflections on the screen, even in the outdoor locations under bright sunshine. The Pentax 645D medium format camera is powered by a large-capacity, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which can capture approximately 800 images when fully charged.
Pentax 645D camera features
• HDR (high dynamic range) function to create one composite image with an extra-wide gradation range from three images with different exposures
• Dynamic-Range Expansion function to compensate for both whitewashed (excessively overexposed) and blacked-out (excessively underexposed) areas
• Digital Level function for easy checking of the image’s levels
• Automatic compensation of distortion and lateral chromatic aberration (available in combination with the D FA 645- and FA 645- series lenses)
• Versatile white-balance control system, including the CTE mode designed to emphasize the dominant color components of the captured images, works especially well during sunsets.
• Mirror shock/operation-noise reduction function to assure smooth operation of the mirror
• Attachment of copyright credits on recorded images
• Compatible with the SDM (Supersonic Direct-drive Motor) autofocus mechanism, designed to assure smooth, quiet operation using the supersonic motor installed inside SDM lenses
• HDMI terminal (for type C mini connectors) for high-resolution image data output
• User-friendly, color-classified control buttons, based on the color universal design concept
• Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software package, including a RAW-data processing application (based on the popular SILKYPIX RAW-data processing engine developed by Ichikawa Soft Laboratory) and browser application.