Ilse Jurriën : August 6th 2009 - 19:50 CET
|Pentax Optio P80
Pentax Optio P80 digital camera : Pentax announce the launch of the Pentax Optio P80 digital compact camera. Its ultra-slim, lightweight design allows it to be carried along anywhere, anytime - more like an accessory than a digital camera. The new Pentax Optio P80 is the latest model of the popular Optio digital compact series providing a host of advanced features for the capture of brilliant, sharply focused portraits. These include: an upgraded version of the Face Recognition AF & AE function, which lets the photographer capture the subject’s face in optimum focus and exposure, even from diagonal angles and in different poses.|
Pentax Optio P80 offers a Small Face Filter
The Pentax P80 also features a Small Face filter, which helps produce a more attractive, better-proportioned subject image by making the face appear slightly smaller in relation to the body; and a more responsive version of the Auto-Tracking AF function, which helps keep an active subject in constant focus.
Pentax Optio P80 camera body
The Pentax Optio P80 sports a compact, ultra-slim camera body that makes it ideal for bringing along not only on trips and leisure events, but also on daily outings and business meetings. Combining many design elements - including a high-grade aluminum-alloy housing and delicately-contoured chrome-plated parts that sparkle from every angle - the digital camera body has a beautiful elegant finish that is a statement of the quality within. Pentax’s innovative Sliding Lens System and space-efficient high-density mounting technology have significantly contributed to a downsizing and weight reduction of the camera body, making the Pentax Optio P80 extremely compact and lightweight - the thinnest part of the body measuring a mere 16.5mm in depth, despite the incorporation of an optical 4X zoom lens and a large 2.7 inch LCD monitor.
Face Recognition function on the Pentax P80
The Pentax Optio P80’s Face Recognition AF & AE function has seen a major upgrade over the previous version. In addition to the ability to automatically detect up to 32 faces in a mere 0.03 seconds, the function can now detect a subject facing diagonally to the digital camera, or one with a tilted head. The Pentax P80 also offers other user-friendly camera features to help the photographer produce attractive portraits with minimal effort: a new Small Face filter, which makes the subject’s face appear smaller than reality in relation to the body, without compromising the overall balance of a portrait; the Smile Capture mode, which automatically releases the shutter the moment the digital camera detects the subject’s smile; and the Blink Detection function, which warns the photographer when the subject’s eyes close at the time of shutter release.
Pentax Optio P80 HD movie recording
The Pentax Optio P80 captures beautiful, flawless movie clips at 16:9 high-definition TV proportions (1280 x 720 pixels) at a frame rate of 30 frames per second.
Pentax Optio P80 anti-shake protection
• Pixel Track SR mode : When recording still images, the Pentax Optio P80’s Digital SR (Shake Reduction) mode effectively compensates for camera shake by processing affected images.
• High-Sensitivity SR mode : When it detects low-lighting conditions in still-image shooting, the Pentax Optio P80 automatically raises its sensitivity to as high as ISO 6400, making it possible to use a higher shutter speed. This effectively minimizes the adverse effects of camera shake and subject shake under poor lighting conditions.
• Movie SR mode : During movie recording, the Pentax Optio P80 prevents blurry images by effectively minimizing annoying camera shake through the use of exclusive software.
Pentax P80 features a wide-angle zoom lens
Despite its compact dimensions, the Pentax Optio P80 comes equipped with an optical 4X zoom lens covering focal lengths from 4.9mm to 19.6mm (equivalent in the 35mm format to approximately 27.5mm wide angle to 110mm telephoto). Thanks to this wide zoom range, the Pentax P80 can be used for a wide variety of subjects and scenes - from spectacular landscapes and group shots in a confined space to tight snapshots from a distance.
12.1 Megapixel Pentax Optio P80 digital camera
Combining approximately 12.1 effective megapixels with the Pentax-developed imaging engine and high-performance Pentax zoom lens, the Optio P80 delivers brilliant, high-quality images with well-defined details. Even when images are enlarged to large-size prints, the user is assured of sharp, high-resolution prints with edge-to-edge sharpness.
Pentax Optio P80 camera features
• Vertical Snap mode, to capture vertical-position images with the same ease of operation as a mobile phone.
• Auto Picture mode, to automatically select one of the eight shooting modes for the optimum result
• A variety of digital filters, including the newly added Toy Camera, to add distinctive visual effects to recorded images
• D-Range setting, to prevent whitewashed (overexposed) and blacked-out (underexposed) areas in images
• Favorites function, to save reduced-size files of favorite images in the camera and recall them at will
• Digital Wide mode, to create a panoramic, ultra-wide-angle picture (equivalent to an image taken with an approx. 20mm lens in the 35mm format) from two images
• Frame composite function (with 90 frames stored in the camera) to shoot or compose images with decorative photo frames
• Image recovery function, to recover accidentally erased images
Pentax Optio P80 review
As soon as we receive a Pentax Optio P80 test sample, we will publish a photo gallery with high resolution pictures, followed by an extensive Pentax Optio P80 review.