Ilse Jurriën : July 27th 2009 - 16:00 CET
Ricoh GR digital III
Ricoh GR Digital III digital camera : Ricoh announce the development and release of the GR Digital III digital camera. Successor model to the Ricoh GR Digital II, it achieves a whole new level of image quality. Representing the further evolution of concepts introduced with the Ricoh GR Digital model (October 2005), the Ricoh GR Digital II (November 2007) achieved superb image quality by packing superior resolution, low noise, and low color aberration performance into a thin, compact body. In the 20 months since its release, it has been very popular with a wide range of customers, especially professional photographers and experienced amateurs.|
Ricoh GR Digital III new features
The new Ricoh GR Digital III takes the GR line's traditional high image quality to an even higher level with a new image processing engine, a new CCD, and the newly developed 28 mm/F1.9 GR Lens. Performance has also been enhanced in areas such as quick shooting, operability, and power of expression. In order to fully respond to the needs of our customers, for the GR Digital III Ricoh will continue to offer the customization services (fine tuning of shutter release button sensitivity, AE/AWB, etc.) that we have provided since the introduction of the GR Digital.
Large-aperture lens on the Ricoh GR Digital III
• The adoption of the new F1.9, f-6.0 mm (equivalent to 28 mm for 35 mm film cameras) lens for the Ricoh GR Digital III takes compact-body digital cameras into a new realm of images. This lens makes it possible to shoot with a faster shutter speed than could be used on previous models, or to shoot with the same shutter speed but at a lower setting for ISO sensitivity.
• Despite the large F1.9 aperture, the new lens achieves a resolution level equivalent to that of the F2.4 GR Lens.
• The use of a newly developed lens drive system has made it possible to achieve greater image quality in macro photography.
Ricoh GR Digital III image processor
• The new image processing engine GR Engine III is installed. Using newly developed noise reduction technology, it enables highly sophisticated noise processing to be done while maintaining superior resolution, tone characteristics, and saturation.
• The new high-sensitivity CCD (1/1.7 inch, approx. 10 megapixels) achieves high-sensitivity properties through the use of a new process. The combination of the newly developed GR Lens and GR Engine III significantly increases shooting performance in low-light scenes.
Ricoh GR Digital 3 offers faster shooting capabilities
• Algorithm improvements have reduced focusing time in low-light scenes. With the Pre-AF function, focusing speed is further accelerated by adjusting the focus to match the movement of the subject.
• The new "full-press snap" function shoots at a preset distance for a one-push full-press of the shutter button.
• Up to five RAW images can be recorded in consecutive shooting and bracketing.
Ricoh GR Digital III digital camera settings
• Shutter speed priority AE is now available in addition to aperture priority AE.
• A more extensive range of image settings enables the photographer to control hue and saturation. This makes it easy to create images with a wide variety of coloration.
• When photographing subjects with mixed color temperatures, the multi-pattern auto white balance function makes it possible to achieve optimum color reproduction.
3" LCD monitor on the Ricoh GR Digital III
• The 3.0-inch, 920,000-dot VGA LCD monitor provides high resolution, a wide viewing angle, excellent color reproduction, good visibility outdoors, and a surface that resists soiling. The sRGB comparison for color reproduction range is 100%.
• The micro-thumbnail display function displays 81 thumbnail images on a single screen.
Ricoh GR Digital 3 offers My Settings mode
• The My Settings on the mode dial have been expanded to three sets. The number of Fn (function) buttons on the back of the camera body has been expanded to two.
• A function has been added for assigning names to My Settings sets and storing and retrieving them. A maximum of six sets can be defined and stored.
Ricoh GR Digital III accessories
• The 21 mm wide conversion lens GW-2 and hood and adapter GH-2 will be sold.
• The available soft cases are the GC-3 for the body only and the GC-4 quick-shooting case type compatible with the GV-2 viewfinder.
• There are also plans to introduce the GF-1 external flash, which can handle TTL flash using auxiliary flash, in the autumn of 2009.
Ricoh GR Digital III firmware
• Even after the Ricoh GR Digital III is introduced, we will continue to add new functions through the release of new firmware. By updating their firmware, Ricoh GR Digital III owners can continue to utilize the latest functions.
Ricoh GR Digital III review
As soon as we receive a full production Ricoh GR Digital III test sample, we will publish a photo gallery with high resolution pictures, followed by an extensive Ricoh GR Digital III review.