Mark Peters : November 5th 2008 - 19:55 CET
Olympus E-30 digital SLR camera : For many, the pursuit of artistic expression is the essence of creative photography. With the Olympus E-30, this objective is closer to reality than ever. The stunning new model joins the ranks of the Four Thirds System-based E-System line-up, incorporating an inspiring range of Art Filters that support the photographer’s vision. The filters let moods be conveyed that would otherwise only be possible through the use of special lenses, add-on filters or via complex image processing techniques. The effects can be seen on the 2.7” / 6.9cm free-angle HyperCrystal II LCD before shooting for perfect image composition. Ensuring an enjoyable photo experience, the monitor facilitates Live View framing ease from virtually any perspective. |
12.3 Megapixel Olympus E30
The high-speed contrast autofocus guarantees faithful on-screen depictions. Wireless flash control capabilities and an expressive Multiple Exposure mode further bolster the potential for distinctive artistry in compositions, as do the choice of nine separate aspect ratios. The newly-developed high-speed 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS sensor together with the new TruePic III+ image processing engine ensure incredible high-definition results. Thanks to built-in image stabilisation, effective to an equivalent of 5 EV steps, photos remain blur-free even in extreme situations - irrespective of the attached lens. And because that one-of-a-kind moment is often fleeting, the E-30 equips photographers with what they need to capture it: industry-leading autofocus speeds with a fully-biaxial 11-point AF, 5fps sequential shooting and a shutter that’s as fast as 1/8000th sec. Naturally, this latest E-System model also incorporates the Olympus-exclusive Supersonic Wave Filter, guaranteeing the most effective protection against dust. The Olympus E-30 is a new type of D-SLR that’s explicitly built for creative personal expression matched with professional quality and performance. It will become available mid-January 2009.
Taking creative photographs with the Olympus E-30
The Olympus E-30 not only reproduces images with amazing fidelity, it supports photographers in realising their artistic vision. Besides customary manual control options, this ground-breaking D-SLR gives users a wide range of additional choices to pursue their creativity. Six Art Filter functions on board facilitate image recording with distinct effects and lend each composition an individual sense of presence - all without additional extra lenses, filters or image processing on a computer. The filters’ effects can be previewed on the LCD during framing of the composition and include the following types: Pop Art, Soft Focus, Pale & Light Colour, Light Tone, Grainy Film and Pin Hole. Other artistic effects can be attained via the Multiple Exposure mode. This allows several images to be superimposed on an image previously captured in RAW format directly in the camera, and is possible when shooting both in optical viewfinder mode or when using Live View. Wireless flash control is also incorporated for creative lighting requirements. This enables control over any number of compatible external flash units which can be placed anywhere around the subject - all without a single cable. Expressive photography is further supported through the Multi-Aspect function. It provides a choice of nine aspect ratios, taking in standard 4:3, cinematic 16:9 and medium-format 6:6. This lets the photographer crop the scene according to his / her desired style.
Olympus E-30 includes a 2.7" LCD display and a viewfinder
Framing can be undertaken through a conventional viewfinder which offers an approx 98% field of view and approx 1.02x magnification (-1m-1, 50mm, at infinity). Or, for greater flexibility, compositions can be framed using the 2.7” / 6.9cm HyperCrystal II LCD with 176° viewing angles. This offers complete framing freedom through its free-angle design which allows even the most adventurous perspectives to be captured. The effects of adjustments to settings can also be monitored in real time. Furthermore, thanks to improved high-speed contrast AF capabilities*, LCD depictions are extremely fast and faithful, making Live View framing significantly more comfortable than before. Views can be enlarged by a factor of 5x, 7x or 10x, enabling the photographer to close-in on subject details to check, for example, the focus.
TruePic III+ image sensor integrated in the Olympus E30
A newly-developed, 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS sensor guarantees the capture of all image details, right down to the smallest minutiae. Based on proven MOS signal amplification technologies, the sensor boasts low power consumption properties to enable fulltime Live View usage. The Olympus E-30’s new TruePic III+ image processor ensures ultra-high processing speeds together with professional image quality. This includes enhanced tonal gradation, colour fidelity and many possibilities for creative expression thanks to the Art Filters - while reducing image noise.
Built-in image stabilisation and a Supersonic Wave Filter
The Olympus E-30 further heightens results with built-in mechanical image stabilisation. Effective to an equivalent of up to 5 EV steps, the incidence of blur is dramatically diminished. Photographers profit from the flexibility of obtaining razor-sharp shots in a wider variety of situations - no matter if in darker shooting environments or at long focal lengths. And because the image stabilisation is built into the camera, every attached lens reaps the benefit. Protection against the effects of dust is provided by the Supersonic Wave Filter. This technology was developed by Olympus and is deployed in every E-System model. It eliminates the risk of image blemishes caused by dust resulting from normal operation or particles entering the camera body during lens changes.
Olympus E-30 compared with the E-3
Inheriting the fully-biaxial 11-point AF system of the E-3 flagship model in the Olympus E-System range, the Olympus E30 achieves the same breakneck autofocusing speeds and performance. Featuring both horizontal and vertical sensor lines, a total of 44 different data points are available in order to calculate the optimal focus. Furthermore, the AF sensor boasts an extremely wide detection range of -2 to 19 EV which ensures high-precision autofocusing even in low light, due to its houndstooth layout.
Record up to 5fps with the Olympus E30
Photographers can also look forward to an accelerated experience in situations when every fraction of a second counts: up to 5fps can be recorded by the E-30 in full 12.3 Megapixel quality (with a 12 image RAW buffer in burst mode) for capturing fast-moving scenes. And for freezing high-speed action - or shooting in bright sunlight with the aperture wide open - this model enables shutter speeds as fast as 1/8000th sec. What’s more, flash synchronisation at up to 1/250th sec. further enhances its flexibility and artistic potential.
Additional features to improve taken pictures
The Olympus E30 incorporates additional features to improve photo results. Auto Gradation uses Shadow Adjustment Technology to help prevent blown highlights and blocked-in shadows as well as ensuring that even high-contrast subjects are naturally rendered. Meanwhile, the Face & Background Control function also adds Face Detection Technology to optimally balance foreground subjects and background scenery.
Level Gauge integrated in the Olympus E30
In addition, a Level Gauge is integrated in the Olympus E-30 to assist in framing and capturing shots evenly. Its built-in dual axis sensor detects roll and pitch levels, and the Level Gauge can be viewed on the Control Panel, the rear LCD and the viewfinder. Photographers can also compare the results of adjustments to various camera settings before shooting by using Perfect Shot Preview. It lets you view the effect of up to four different exposure compensation or white balance settings on the LCD prior to taking the picture.
Top-mounted LCD panel
Operating ease and superior visibility of camera settings are supported via a top-mounted LCD panel which displays the current shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation level and other important settings. Naturally, this and further information can also be viewed on the Super Control Panel which is displayed on the camera’s LCD and navigated via an intuitive, graphical menu.
Accessories to promote creative photography
As part of the Olympus E-System and based on the Four Thirds Standard, many lenses and other accessories are available to ensure the E-30 takes creativity to a higher level. From fish-eye, macro and ultra-wide-angle lenses through to ultra-zoom models, the Zuiko Digital range of lenses leaves nothing to be desired. New in the line-up is the Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II lens, which now enables full contrast AF performance with the E-30. Olympus also offers two wireless flash solutions: the FL-50R and FL-36R make the most of the camera’s wireless flash control capabilities. And for sessions that go into overtime, the HLD-4 Power Battery Holder - which includes a handy shutter release button - ensures shooting can continue for extended periods without the need to recharge.
Availability of the Olympus E-30 SLR camera
The Olympus E-30 gives photographers a portable creative studio. It provides everything required to live out and express creativity while enjoying pro-level image results, control and performance. It will go on sale from mid-January 2009.
Olympus E30 SLR features
• Art Filters, Multiple Exposure, Wireless Flash, Multi-Aspect
• Comfortable Live View thanks to high-speed contrast AF
• Free-angle 2.7”/6.9cm HyperCrystal II LCD
• Newly developed 12.3 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor
• TruePic III+ processor for ideal colour reproduction and low noise
• Built-in IS with max. 5 EV steps efficiency
• High-speed 11-point fully-biaxial AF performance
• Max. 5fps
• 1/8000th sec. high speed shutter & 1/250th sec. flash synchronisation
Additional features of the Olympus E30
• Multiple-exposure function with LCD monitor display of current view superimposed on top of previously captured image
• Auto gradation adjustment to prevent blown highlights and blocked-in shadows
• Face & Background Control for beautifully balanced exposures of foreground subjects and background scenery
• Perfect Shot Preview to enable comparison of the results of various settings adjustments before actual shooting
• Reliable Supersonic Wave Filter dust reduction system
• Built-in flash (GN13) with commander function for wireless off-camera flash synchronisation
• Wireless flash control in up to 3 groups (separate press release available for Olympus FL-50R and FL-36R flash units)
• Large optical viewfinder with approx 98% field of view and approx 1.02x magnification
• Shooting information displayed via top-mounted LCD panel and Super Control Panel LCD monitor display for superior visibility and operating ease
• High-precision, 49-zone metering system
• Easy activation of shooting functions via sample image selection
• Versatile bracketing functions for ISO, white balance, exposure, and flash
• Lightbox view with enlargement function for easy side-by-side comparison of images
• Based on the Four Thirds Standard
• Ergonomic design of body, control buttons and GUI for easy operation
• AE/AF lock functionality for individual customisation
• Second display for Super Control Panel
• ISO 100-3200 for wide-ranging sensitivity
• Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interface
• High-speed data writing and lossless RAW compression for quick processing
• Simultaneous writing of RAW and JPEG
• 27 shooting modes (5 Exposure Modes, 5 Creative Modes, 11 Scene Select Modes, 6 Art Filters)
• Wide dynamic range in highly lit areas
• Dual memory slot for CompactFlash and xD-Picture Cards (incl. support for UDMA High-Speed CF cards and Microdrive)
Olympus Evolt E-30 kit forms
• Olympus E-30 body only
• Olympus E-30 body with Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 lens
• Olympus E-30 body with Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II lens
• Olympus E-30 body with Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 lens