Mark Peters : April 24th 2008 - 09:00 CET
|Ricoh Caplio G600 water and dust-resistant camera
Ricoh Caplio G600 : Ricoh has launched the Caplio G600, a new water and dust-resistant digital camera which will now be available along with the popular Ricoh Caplio 500G Wide. The Ricoh Caplio G600 camera is smaller and lighter yet it still passes Ricoh‘s shock resistance test for a 1.5 m fall, a test that conforms to US Department of Defense standards. In addition to the 5x optical wide-angle zoom lens (equivalent to 28-140 mm for a 35 mm camera), the Ricoh G600 continues to provide the same strong set of features as previous models, such as a 1 cm macro function and a ﬂash range of 10 m. It is perfect for customers who want to take pictures in a variety of outdoor activities, such as marine sports and mountain climbing.|
Ricoh G600 Features
1. Superior water and dust resistance plus even greater shock resistance make the G600 ideal for hard outdoor use.
• A shock resistant structure and stronger camera cone create a robust body able to withstand falls from 1.5 m onto 26 surfaces, in compliance with US Department of Defense “MIL Standard 810F” (previous models withstood 1.0 m). The G600 is able to cope with rough handling outdoors.
• The Ricoh G600 boasts the same impressive water resistance as its predecessor’s, surpassing JIS protection grade 7 performance. Besides taking pictures in the rain, it can even take pictures underwater at depths of up to about 1 meter.
• Dust resistance satisﬁes JIS protection grade 6. Pictures can be taken in environments, such as the seashore, where there are high concentrations of sand or dust.
• The well thought out design and positioning of the large buttons make operation easy even with gloves on, such as while skiing.
Ricoh Caplio G600 Flash
2. Powerful ﬂash with effective range of up to 10m and ISO3200 sensitivity for low-light photography.
• The ﬂash has an effective range of up to 10 m for wide-angle and 6.5 m for telephoto.
• The new ISO 3200 capability expands the range of scenes that can be photographed (previous model‘s maximum sensitivity was ISO 1600).
• There is also an accessory shoe where an external ﬂash can be attached.
Ricoh G600 Display
3. Large 2.7-inch picture display.
• A large, high-deﬁnition 2.7-inch picture display is included. This enables accurate photography by making the picture display easier to see outdoors.
• A light sensor has been installed so that picture display brightness can be automatically adjusted based on ambient light level.
Ricoh G600 Compact camera body
4. Compact and lightweight body that can be carried in a breast pocket.
• Compact body size of 116.5 mm (W) × 68.0 mm (H) × 32.0 mm (D). Light weight of 260 g (Previous model dimensions 133.05 mm (W) × 78.5 mm (H) × 74.0 mm (D); weight approx. 400 g.
• The ﬂat design uses a non-protruding inner-zoom lens so that the lens does not extend out from the body regardless of whether the power is on or off.
• A neck strap attachment to the camera body means that as well as horizontal suspension, vertical suspension is now possible, making it easy to store the camera in a shirt or jacket breast pocket while the strap is still around your neck.
G600 Ricoh wide-zoom lens
5. A 28-140 mm wide-zoom lens on a water and dust-resistant digital camera.
• The wide-zoom lens, equivalent to 28-140 mm, has been popular on other models.
• It can cover the whole of a large building and frame group pictures well in conﬁned areas, and the 5x optical zoom can reach subjects it is not possible to shoot from close by.
• For even wider shots, there is an optional wide conversion lens equivalent to 22 mm.
• Size 37 mm ﬁlters can also be attached.
Ricoh Caplio G600 Popular features
6. Popular features from other models have been incorporated into the Ricoh G600.
• The large-capacity lithium ion battery provided with the camera gives long battery life for approximately 360 shots (CIPA standard). If the battery runs out, readily available AAA size batteries can be used instead. An optional AC adapter can be used indoors, so three different power sources are available.
• Macro mode gets as close as 1cm from the subject.
• When the camera is connected to a personal computer via a USB cable, it is recognized as an external storage device, so images in the camera can be transferred to the computer without using special software. Full, automatic transfer is also available with the special software.
• The high-quality CCD has an effective 10 million pixels.
• Skew correction mode can modify photographs taken at an angle so that they look as if they were shot from the front. This is a powerful tool for various situations, such as images shot for message boards and display panels.
• The Ricoh Caplio G600 is compliant with the PictBridge standard that allows direct connection to a printer without routing through a personal computer. More diverse printing is possible, such as printing on forms registered in the printer, when connected to Ricoh’s high-speed colour laser printers and MFP.
• An edit check function detects for image data tampering. This increases the reliability of the data when digital photographic images are submitted as corroborative evidence.