World Press Photo|
Photographers wishing to enter their images need to apply for a password by 4 January to gain access to the site. After receiving their password they can finish uploading their images until 10 January 2008. General contest information, including biographies of the 2008 jury, can also be found on the main World Press Photo website. PDF files with information about entering the contest is available on the website in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish. Entries can still be submitted by regular mail or courier.
World Press Photo Contest 2008 - Judging
From 26 January until 7 February 2008, a panel of 13 recognized international experts in the field of press photography will be judging the entries at the World Press Photo office in Amsterdam. The members of the 2008 jury are: Chair: Gary Knight (UK), photographer and chairman VII Photo Agency. Members:
• Jodi Bieber (South Africa), photographer Noor
• Adam Broomberg / Oliver Chanarin (South Africa/UK), photographers
• Erin Elder (Canada), photo editor The Globe and Mail
• Craig Golding (Australia), photographer Sydney Morning Herald
• Mary Anne Golon (USA), director of photography Time magazine
• Maria Mann (USA), managing editor European Pressphoto Agency
• Enric Martí (Spain), regional photo editor Latin America & Caribbean, The Associated Press
• Michael Nichols (USA), photographer National Geographic Magazine
• Simon Njami (Cameroon), independent curator
• Swapan Parekh (India), photographer
• Stephan Vanfleteren (Belgium), photographer
• Ju Yang (People’s Republic of China), director of photography Legal Daily
2008 World Press Photo Contest - Awards
Singles pictures as well as photo stories/portfolios are accepted in the following ten categories: Spot News, General News, People in the News, Sports Action, Sports Features, Contemporary Issues, Daily Life, Arts and Entertainment, Portraits, and Nature. The jury will give first, second and third prizes in all categories. The first prize winners in each category will receive a cash prize of 1,500 Euro, the premier award, the World Press Photo of the Year, carries a cash prize of 10,000 Euro.
World Press Photo Contest Winners
The winners will be announced during a press conference at 11 a.m. CET on 8 February 2008 at the Amsterdam city hall and on the World Press Photo website. The prizewinning pictures are presented in a traveling exhibition that will be displayed in about 95 cities in 45 countries, starting in Amsterdam at the end of April. The exhibition is accompanied by a yearbook published in 6 languages. In the 2007 contest, 4,460 photographers from 124 countries participated submitting a total of 78,083 photographs. World Press Photo receives support from the Dutch Postcode Lottery and is sponsored worldwide by Canon and TNT.