|Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens|
Ralf Jurrien : November 22th 2007 - 19:32 CET
Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens : Nikon has added a new member to its family of Nikkor lenses with the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR, a general-purpose lens developed specifically to cater for users of entry-level DSLR cameras. The DX Nikkor zoom lens is compact, lightweight and affordable and incorporates a Silent Wave Motor for fast autofocus, and Vibration Reduction for enhanced low-light performance. The versatile 3x zoom lens covers the widely-used and popular focal range of 27mm to 82.5mm when mounted on any DX-format Nikon DSLR camera. Nikon’s own VR system minimizes the image blur caused by camera shake, stabilizing the image to allow shutter speeds of up to three stops slower than would be possible without VR.|
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
For the photographer, the experience is like using a lens that is three stops faster (as determined in Nikon tests) and enables dramatically sharper handheld shooting at dusk or at night, and in poorly-lit interiors. A further major advantage of VR, when incorporated in the camera lens, is that it produces a stable viewfinder image. This makes the process of framing and composition more accurate and less tiring.
Nikkor zoom lens - Hybrid aspherical element
In line with Nikon’s unrelenting drive to achieve superior optical performance, Nikon’s developers set strict, new engineering standards for the new lens, seeking to achieve greater overall resolution. The result is a newly-developed optical system that has been optimised for use with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras. The lens incorporates a hybrid aspherical element to minimize distortion and Nikon’s Super Integrated Coating to ensure outstanding colour balance and reproduction with reduced ghosting.
Silent Wave Motor
Other features have been added to bring professional-grade performance to the enthusiast photographer. These include a compact Silent Wave Motor (SWM) that delivers fast, quiet autofocus operation and a seven-blade rounded diaphragm opening for rich, natural-looking out-of-focus backgrounds. Furthermore, the lens boasts a short closest-focus distance of 0.28 m/0.9 ft. throughout the entire zoom range.
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm zoom lens
With compact dimensions of Ø73 x 79.5 mm/Ø2.9 x 3.1 in. and a low weight of approx. 265 g/9.3 oz., this new lens is easy to handle and carry. The Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR has been created to cater for the needs of the many digital SLR camera users who want maximum performance from their camera for with a wide range of applications.
Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens Features
• 3x zoom lens covering the most frequently used focal range of 18 to 55mm (the picture angle is equivalent to a lens with focal length from 27 to 82.5mm in FX/35mm format)
• VR operation enables use of shutter speeds expected from lenses that are three stops faster.
• Superior-performance optical system that is specially designed for use with the Nikon DSLRs
• Hybrid aspherical lens element eliminates various types of lens aberration
• High-performance Nikon Super Integrated Coating offers superior color reproduction, while minimizing ghosting and flare
• Nikon’s exclusive Silent Wave Motor ensures fast, quiet autofocus operation
• Rounded diaphragm opening (seven blades) makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural
• Closest focusing distance of 0.28 m/0.9 ft., throughout the entire zoom range
• Filter attachment size of 52 mm
• Lens barrel features comfortable holding, rugged construction; zoom and focusing rings provide smooth operation
• New, user-friendly design with simulated leather finish
Nikon 18-55mm zoom lens Specifications
• Focal length - 18-55 mm
• Maximum aperture - f/3.5-5.6
• Minimum aperture - f/22-36
• Lens construction - 11 elements in 8 groups (with one aspherical lens element)
• Picture angle - 76° - 28°50’
• Closest focus distance - 0.28 m/0.9 ft. (throughout the entire zoom range)
• Maximum reproduction ratio - 0.31x
• No. of diaphragm blades - 7 (rounded)
• Filter/attachment size - 52mm
• Focusing - Autofocus with built-in SWM and manual focus
• Diameter x length - Approx. 73 x 79.5 mm/2.9 x 3.1 in. (extension from lens mount)
• Weight - Approx. 265 g/9.3 oz.
• Supplied accessories - 52mm snap-on front lens cap LC-52
• Optional accessories - 52mm screw-in filters, rear lens cap LF-1, flexible lens pouch
• Optional accessories - CL-0815, Bayonet Hood HB-45