Nic Rossmüller : March 8th 2007 - 16:00 CET
Sigma DP1 : Sigma announces the launch of the Sigma DP1 using three silicon embedded layers of photo sensors stacked to take advantage of silicon’s ability to absorb red, green and blue light at different respective depths. The size of image sensor used in DP1 camera is approximately 10 times larger than those used in an ordinary point and shoot camera. Large size image sensor takes advantage of larger pixels. So far point and shoot digital cameras incorporated small size image sensors, and researches for increasing the number of pixels by keeping the image sensor small is still continuing. However, there are limitations in these researches, because keeping image sensor size small will result poor capture of the light poorly. |
|Sigma DP1 - Digital Signal Processor|
In this respect, enlarging the image sensor will result in better capturing color signals. The direct image sensor featured in the Sigma DP1 ensures the capture of full and complete color. This camera incorporates both RAW and JPEG image recording formats enabling photographers to capture the highest possible picture definition and smaller file sizes. “TRUE” (Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine) DSP (Digital Signal Processor) suited for Foveon three silicon embedded layers direct image sensor is newly developed (joint development with Fujitsu Limited) and incorporated into DP1 first time. The unique image processing algorithm developed throughout the development of SD9, SD10 and SD14 cameras is incorporated into “TRUE” and enables high-speed image processing.
Sigma DP1 camera - Asperical lens
The accumulated lens design technology and SD series are used for DP1 development. A 16.6mm F4 lens, with a wide angle field of view equivalent to 28mm on a 35mm film camera, has been specially developed to maximize the image quality in conjunction with the full color capture image sensor. Glass mold aspherical lens provide correction for all types of aberrations and capture accurate, full color image information.
Sigma DP1 compact camera - 2.5 inch LCD monitor
It has compact dimensions of 113.3mm / 4.5in. (W) × 59.5mm / 2.34in. (H) × 50.3mm / 2.0in. (D) and lightweight of 240g/8.5ounces. Its compact body and lightweight design makes it easy to carry everywhere. The Sigma DP1 camera features a new, large 2.5inch, 230,000-pixel resolution LCD monitor. The LCD monitor displays 100% of the image, allowing the photographer to easily and accurately confirm the image composition. DP1 camera is equipped with a hot-shoe thus allowing the attachment of dedicated external flash and high performance external viewfinder (VF11).
Sigma DP1 digital camera - Specifications
• Image Sensor: Foveon X3 (CMOS)
• Image Sensor Size: 20.7×13.8mm
• Number of Pixels: Effective Pixels approx. 14.06MP (2652×1768×3 layers)
• Aspect Ratio: 3 : 2
• Lens: 16.6mm F4（35mm equivalent focal length：28mm）
• Lens Construction: 5 Groups, 6 Elements
• Shooting Range: 30cm～∞
• Storage Media: SD Card /SDHC compatible
• Recording Format: Exif 2.21, DCF 2.0, DPOF
• Recording Mode: Losless compression RAW data (12-bit), JPEG (High, Medium Low), Movie, Voice
• Auto Focus: Contrast Detection Type
• AF Point: 9-Points
• Focusing Modes: Single, 9-points multi
• Exposure Compensation: ±3EV (1/3 stop increments)
• Auto Bracketing: Appropriate, under, over; 1/3EV steps up to ±3EV for appropriate exposure
• Shutter Speed: 1/4000sec. to 15sec.
• Built-in Flash: Pop-up type (manually)
• Flash Coverage Range: 30cm－2.1m（at ISO200）
• External Flash Sync.: Hotshoe (X Sync. Contact)
• Drive Modes:  Single,  Continuous,  Self Timer（2sec. /10sec.）
• LCD Monitor: TFT Color LCD Monitor
• Monitor Size: 2.5 inches
• LCD Pixels: approx.230,000 pixels
• Interface: USB(USB2.0), Video Out (NTSC/PAL), Audio Out（Monaural）
• Power: Li-ion Battery Pack BP-31, Battery Charger BC-31, AC Adapter (Optional)
• Dimensions: 113.3mm/4.5” (W) × 59.5mm /2.3”(H) ×50.3mm/2” (D)
• Weight: 240g /8.5oz (excluding batteries)
After nearly 40 years of pioneering new and better ways to capture and portray the ordinary - and extraordinary - Sigma is still creating new avenues of expression with innovative designs and enhancements in zoom and non-zoom lenses and single lens reflex cameras. As one of the first manufacturers to successfully introduce the interchangeable lens, Sigma's well-earned reputation for originality, innovation and leadership is your guarantee of the world's most advanced line of photographic products. Products you and millions of photographers worldwide turn to when quality, reliability and professional results count most.