|Toshiba 56nm MLC NAND flash memory|
Ralf Jurrien : February 2nd 2007 - 22:46 CET
Toshiba 56nm MLC NAND flash memory : Toshiba reinforcing its leadership in the development of powerful, high density NAND flash memory, announced with Toshiba America Electronic Components, its subsidiary in the Americas, the introduction of 16 Gb and 8Gb NAND flash memory, fabricated with cutting-edge 56-nanometer (nm) process technology co-developed with SanDisk Corporation of Milpitas, Calif. The 16Gb is the highest density single-chip NAND flash memory yet achieved. Advancing from limited production of engineering samples at the end of 2006, Toshiba is now increasing shipments of commercial samples of new 8Gb single-chip, multi-level cell NAND flash memories, the current mainstream density, with availability from today. |
Toshiba 16Gb NAND flash memory|
Toshiba intends to start shipping commercial samples of 16Gb NAND flash memories, in the late first quarter of this year. The adoption of MLC technology and improved programming efficiency allows the new chips to offer high density and write performance. Application of 56nm process technology realizes 16Gb, twice the memory density per chip achieved with 8Gb 70nm technology, achieving the largest single-chip density in NAND flash memory. A write performance of 10-megabytes a second, twice that of Toshiba's present MLC products, reflects the efficiency obtained with advanced process technology and doubling page size (the amount of data that can be written at one time) from 2,112 bytes to 4,314 bytes.
Toshiba & SanDisk NAND flash memory - Availability
By combining advanced process and MLC technologies, and through continued advances in production efficiency, Toshiba intends to enhance cost competitiveness and meet the needs of the NAND flash memory market.Shipment of the 8Gb TC58NVG3D1DTG00 start in January, 2007. Shipment of the 16Gb TC58NVG4D1DTG00 start Q1, 2007. Major points of the new flash memory products are :
• Adoption of cutting-edge 56nm process technology and of MLC technology that increases memory cell density to 16Gb, twice the density per chip against Toshiba NAND flash memories fabricated with 8Gb 70nm process technology.
• Advances in programming performance technology combine with the efficiency of advanced process technology to achieve a write performance of 10-megabytes a second, twice that of Toshiba's present MLC NAND flash memories. The key advances are: One-time write page size is doubled from 2,112 bytes to 4,314
bytes and adoption of a write-cache function that realizes a short write cycle time by shortening data processing standby.
Toshiba 8 & 16Gb NAND flash - Specifications
• Power Supply Vcc=2.7-3.6V
• Page Size 4096+218 bytes
• Programming Time 800 microseconds per page (typical)
• Erase Time 2 milliseconds per block (typical)
• Access Times 50 microseconds first access (maximum)
• Access Times 30 nanoseconds serial access (minimum)
• Package 48-pin TSOP Type I
• Exterior Dimensions 12 x 20 x 1.2mm
Toshiba NAND flash memory
Toshiba was a principal innovator of NAND- and NOR-type Flash memory technology in the 1980's and maintains leadership in Flash technology today, with a complete line of removable and embedded NAND solutions to meet various application requirements. NAND Flash has become one of the leading technologies for solid-state storage applications because of its high-speed programming capability, high-speed erasing, and low cost. The sequential nature (serial access) of NAND-based Flash memory provides notable advantages for these block-oriented data storage applications. Toshiba's NAND Flash memory products are optimized for general solid-state storage, image file storage and audio for applications such as solid-state disk drives, digital cameras, audio appliances, set-top boxes and industrial storage.