Ilse Jurriën : September 14th 2006 - 00:00 CET
Pentax K10D DSLR camera : Pentax Corporation introduced the Pentax K10D lens-interchangeable digital SLR camera. This new digital SLR camera combines 10.2 effective megapixels with a host of advanced technologies - including the Pentax-original Shake Reduction (SR) system - to deliver high-quality digital SLR photography and responsive operations to advanced amateurs and experienced hobbyists. Pentax believes that, while some of these technologies and improvements may not be actually reflected in the product’s specifications, they do make a significant difference in the final images. The Pentax K10D digital SLR camera will start shipping at mid October, 2006.|
Pentax K10D - 10.2 Megapixels|
Developed as the result of Pentax’s pursuit of higher-quality, finer-resolution digital images, the Pentax K10D SLR camera combines 10.2 effective megapixels with an array of advanced features and a series of improvements at every stage of digital SLR photography. Important features include the Pentax-developed Shake Reduction (SR) system to minimize the adverse effects of camera shake, a newly developed A/D converter designed to convert a large volume of data more faithfully and swiftly, and a high-performance imaging engine designed exclusively for the K10D.
Pentax K10D digital SLR camera - Dust Removal system
The Pentax K10D DSLR also comes equipped with a host of features and functions designed to assist the photographer in various aspects of high-quality digital SLR photography. They include a new Dust Removal (DR) system to keep dust off the CCD surface, a Pentax-original exposure system for faithful reproduction of the photographer’s creative intentions, and a dependable dust-proof, water-resistant body construction. All combined, the K10D delivers exceptionally high image quality and responds brilliantly to the exacting demands of advanced photographers.
Pentax K10 D digital SLR camera - Shake Reduction
The K10D camera features a large, high-performance 23.5mm x 15.7mm CCD with 10.2 effective megapixels as its image sensor, assuring the reproduction of true-to-life, rich-gradation images. Furthermore, the Pentax K10D is equipped with the Pentax-developed Shake Reduction (SR) system, which effectively reduces camera shake for sharp, blur-free images even under demanding shooting conditions, such as when using a telephoto lens, shooting in the dark or at night without supplementary flash illumination, or using extended exposures for sunset scenes. This innovative mechanism shifts the position of the CCD image sensor vertically and horizontally at high speed using magnetic force, while adjusting the shifting speed in proportion to the amount of camera shake detected by a built-in sensor. It offers an outstanding compensation effect equivalent to two to four shutter-speed steps. As a result, it does not require special anti-shake lenses, and can be used with almost all existing Pentax interchangeable lenses. Lenses compatible with this mechanism are the Pentax K-, KA-, KAF- and KAF2-mount lenses; screw-mount lenses (with an adapter); and 645- are 67-system lenses (with an adapter).
Pentax K10D DSLR camera - A/D converter & Real Image Engine
The K10D D-SLR incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2 million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional 12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters. Furthermore, the Pentax K10D incorporates the new PRIME (Pentax Real Image Engine) as its imaging engine. Designed exclusively for Pentax digital SLR cameras, this new imaging engine produces well-balanced, true-to-life images through efficient control of CCD signals, saturation, brightness, white balance, sharpness and contrast. Its new memory (DDR2: Double Data Rate 2) also serves to enhance speedy image processing and high-speed data transfer.
Pentax K 10D reflex camera - Dust removal system
The Pentax K10D features the new Dust Removal (DR) system to prevent dust from sticking to the surface of the CCD image sensor (or low-pass filter). Applied to the CCD surface through a vapor deposition process of a fluorine compound, the Pentax-original Special Protect (SP) coating effectively removes dust and stains from the surface. In the next step, dust that still remains on the surface will be shaken off when the SR system shifts the CCD at high speed. The dust that is shaken off the CCD will fall onto an adhesive sheet positioned at the bottom of the SR unit, eliminating any possibility of its returning to the CCD surface.
Pentax K10D D-SLR camera - A/D converter & Real Image Engine
The new Pentax SLR camera features an original exposure system for faithful reproduction of creative intentions. The system includes;
• Hyper Program function : The K10D’s Hyper Program function allows the user to instantly switch to the Shutter- Priority AE (Tv) mode or Aperture-Priority AE (Av) mode from the Program AE mode, with a simple turn of the electronic dials on the grip (one on the front for index-finger control, and the other on the back for thumb control). To return to the Program AE mode, simply press the green button positioned next to the shutter release button.
• Hyper Manual function : When shooting in the Metered Manual mode, a single push of the green button allows the user to instantly set the proper exposure for the subject.
• Sensitivity-Priority mode : The K10D features a new Sensitivity-Priority AE (Sv) mode, which is designed to automatically select the optimum combination of aperture and shutter speed for a user-selected sensitivity. The sensitivity can be shifted instantly (in 1/2 or 1/3 steps) by turning the electronic dial. Since this mode eliminates the need to recall a menu screen for sensitivity changes, the photographer can react more quickly to changing photographic conditions.
• Shutter & Aperture-Priority mode : Another exposure mode offered by the K10D is Shutter & Aperture-Priority AE (TAv) mode, which is designed to automatically select the most appropriate sensitivity for a user-selected shutter-speed & aperture combination.
Pentax K10D - Dust-proof, water-resistant & Viewfinder
The K10D boasts a reliable dust-proof, water-resistant construction, with special seals applied to 72 different parts of the camera body, including the shutter release button and switches/levers/dials. This dependable body makes it possible to use the Pentax K10D in the rain or at dusty locations without worries. Featuring a glass pentaprism, the K10D’s viewfinder offers a 96-percent field of view and a 0.95-times magnification for easy viewing of the subject and effortless confirmation of focus and composition. Coupled with the acclaimed Natural-Bright-Matte II focusing screen, it delivers a large, bright subject image. The K10D is designed to be compatible with supersonic motor-driven autofocus lenses (currently under development), which are expected to provide smoother, quieter autofocus operation than conventional lenses.
Pentax K10D digital reflex camera - Auto sensitivity control
The K10D’s auto sensitivity control function automatically sets the optimum sensitivity up to ISO 3200, based on such data as the subject’s brightness level and the lens’ focal length. Since this function allows the use of higher shutter speeds in poor lighting situations (such as indoor sports events and night scenes), it helps the photographer to effectively reduce camera shake and prevent blurred images. For specialized applications, the sensitivity can be set manually from ISO 100 to ISO 3200.
Pentax K-10D digital reflex camera - Continuous shooting
To trace the movement of an active subject or capture a sequence of the subject’s expressions, the Pentax K10D offers a continuous shooting mode that allows the photographer to capture a series of images at a maximum speed of approximately 3.3 images per second. In the JPEG recording format, the user is allowed to take as many images in succession as wished, until the capacity of an SD memory card runs out.
Pentax K10D - Shutter unit & 11 sensor points
The K10D’s shutter unit is designed to withstand nearly 100,000 releases, while assuring high-precision operation over the entire shutter-speed range - up to a top speed of 1/4000 second. It also features a flash synchronization speed of 1/180 second for more versatile flash photography. The Pentax K10D’s sophisticated SAFOX VIII autofocus system features 11 sensor points (with nine cross-type sensors positioned in the middle) to automatically focus on the subject with utmost precision, even when it is positioned off center. The in-focus sensor point is automatically superimposed in red in the viewfinder for at-a-glance confirmation.
Pentax K10D D-SLR camera - 2.5 inch LCD monitor
The K10D incorporates an extra-large 2.5-inch color LCD monitor on its back panel. Its wide-view design allows the photographer to check the monitor image from 140 degrees both vertically and horizontally, ensuring effortless image viewing even from a diagonal position. With approximately 210,000 pixels, it also offers digital zooming of playback images up to 20 times for easy confirmation of the image’s focusing status and details.
Pentax K10-D camera - D-BG2 Battery Grip
The K10D features new, large-capacity lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, which can capture approximately 730 images when fully recharged. Developed for exclusive use with the Pentax K10D, the D-BG2 battery grip can be used in combination with the camera’s rechargeable lithium-ion batteries to greatly extend the battery life. With an extra shutter-release button, preview lever, electronic dial, AE-lock button and green button, it makes vertical-position shooting simple and effortless. It features the same dust-proof, water-resistant construction as the K10D camera body.
Pentax K10 D - Other features
• Choice of 16-segment multi-pattern metering
• Center-weighted metering and spot metering
• High-rigidity stainless-steel chassis
• 32 custom functions to personalize camera operations
• Extended bracket function to capture three images of the same subject at different contrast, saturation, sharpness or white-balance levels
• Compatibility with SD memory cards and SDHC memory cards
• Choice of two preview functions (digital/optical)
• Simultaneous recording of RAW and JPEG images
• Manual fine adjustment of white balance
• Day-by-day folders to simplify the arrangement of recorded images
• Six built-in digital filters (Black-and-white, Sepia, Slim, Soft, Brightness and Color)
• Remote shutter release from the front and back sides of the camera
• Pentax Photo Laboratory 3 RAW data processing software included
• Pentax Photo Browser 3 browser software included
• Compatibility with PictBridge, DPOF, Exif Print and PRINT Image Matching III systems
Pentax K10D DSLR - Specifications
• Marketing date : Mid October, 2006
• Power source: Exclusive lithium-ion battery (D-LI50 type)
• Dimensions: 140 (W) x 43 (H) x 73.5 (D) mm (excluding protrusions)
• Weight: 235g (without battery)